Position Title:Applications Programmer/System Technician
Reports To:Director of Information Technology
Purpose of Position
This position performs a variety of technical functions within the Technology Services department including program development and maintenance, computer installation and software troubleshooting, server installation and software troubleshooting.
- Analyzes complex system problems and researches appropriate solutions.
- Develop programs, prepares test data, tests and debugs modifications to existing and new applications written in Microsoft Visual Basic.. NET, ASP.Net and PHP.
- Plans installs, configures, upgrades, tests, and maintains servers running Windows 2003 and later operating systems, IIS, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Active Directory and SQL servers.
- Plans, installs, configures, upgrades, tests and maintains desktop and laptop computers running Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X.
- Tests and implements new products and technologies that may benefit the university. Evaluates new hardware and software upgrades, identifying strengths, weaknesses, and potential benefits to the university.
- Handle escalated tickets from the Help Desk and ensures their issues receive timely resolution.
- Participates in the on-call rotation. Responsible for responding to and resolving user concerns or problem while on-call.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a BachelorÔ??s degree from an accredited four-your college. Major course work in Computer Science or related field if preferred. Well-developed analytical, verbal and written communication skills are required. Working experience installing and troubleshooting personal computer operating systems including Windows XP and Windows 2003 server is required. Experience installing and troubleshooting Mac OS X is preferred. Working experience installing and troubleshooting PC hardware such as hard drives, tape backup systems, network cards, memory and other expansion cards is preferred. Experience developing interactive web based programs is required.
Supervision of Personnel