Position Title:Assistant Bursar
Reports To:Bursar and Director of Student Accounts
Purpose of Position
Assists Bursar and Director of Student Accounts to manage student billing, payment receipt and refund functions. Administers third party receivables including veterans programs and State waivers/exemptions
- Provides assistance in management of daily activities of Bursar's Office/Student Accounts area. Assumes responsibilities of Bursar in that individual's absence.
- Ensures prompt and courteous customer service to students, parents, outside agencies, and departments.
- Assists in the evaluation of student financial services provided and seeks continuous improvement.
- Serves as a consultant to University offices that need assistance in dealing with student financial problems.
- Administers third party receivables in excess of $1,000,000.
- Administers receivables for Texas Tomorrow Fund, Vocational Rehabilitation and Workforce programs.
- Accurately monitors state mandated tuition/fee reduction (exemptions and waivers) for approximately 500 students in excess of $1.6 million.
- Administers various military/veterans programs including tuition assistance payments, Chapter 33 and Post/911 payments.
- Provides back-up for Business Services Assistants (cashiering, institutional loans and One-Stop Shop) during peak periods.
- Coordinates collection efforts for delinquent student accounts and institutional loans.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Undergraduate degree required with preference for business/accounting. Experience in account management, collections and billing required, preferably in higher education. Supervisory experience in a cash handling environment required. Must be committed to quality customer service. Requires exceptional interpersonal skills, problem solving skills and the ability to work accurately. Must be proficient in word processing and spreadsheet
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Business Services Assistants