Position Title:Assistant Comptroller
Department:Business and Administration, VP for
Reports To:Associate Vice President Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
Responsible for assisting in the daily operations of the general and student accounting functions of the University.
- Coordination of projects to automate processes and implement new technologies. May include automation of data collection, creation of databases and spreadsheets, and management of electronic processes with assistance from CTIS as needed.
- Understands and utilize the FAMIS accounting system and the Sungard Banner Student Accounting System to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness of both systems, including system interfaces, and to maintain the integrity of the University’s accounting records.
- Develops and maintain a consistent and effective reconciliation and monitoring system to ensure all system interfaces function as intended. Investigates and resolves all errors, mis-feeds, and other interface exceptions.
- Liaison with the Director of Student Accounting and the Director of Student Information Systems to ensure that all Banner system changes and upgrades are implemented so that there are no disruptions in service to internal or external University customers.
- Directs the reconciliation process for all University bank accounts, clearing accounts and accounts receivable accounts. Produces periodic reconciliation and management reports as required.
- Assists in financial analysis and creation of models and graphical presentation of financial data for various departments.
- Performs research and analysis of programs and activities to provide financial viability/cost-benefit advice.
- Analyze financial data. Develop schedules and reports, and prepares financial projections.
- Develops, maintains and modifies data warehouse(s) for financial information to support business administration and institutional activities.
- Assists with the coordination of periodic internal and external audits and engagements and work with appropriate departments to ensure recommendations are implemented.
- Assists with the preparation of the Annual Financial Report.
- Participates in the review, development and implementation of financial reporting and compliance polices, practices and procedures.
- Benchmarking of best practices to assist in evaluation of current processes and recommendation of changes to improve operational efficiencies.
- Assists Comptroller and Associate Vice President with other duties and projects as assigned.
- Serves as a member of the University’s Financial Council which reports directly to the Vice President for Business and Administration.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
BachelorÔ??s degree in accounting required. Certified Public Account preferred plus experience in fund accounting. Experience in higher education preferred. At least 5 years accounting experience required. Knowledge of GASB and FASB accounting standards; knowledgeable of state laws and statutes. Must have excellent management/ supervisory, communication and organizational skills.
Supervision of Personnel
Assists the Comptroller and Director of Accounting with supervision of all areas of the accounting department.