Position Title:Assistant Director of Instructional Design
Department:Instructional Technology and Distance Education
Purpose of Position
Provides leadership and oversight of the instructional design team in areas related to course design and development; development and scheduling of faculty training; faculty support during the teaching phase of online, blended, and enhanced courses; and consideration of universal accessibility. Promotes sound instructional design methods, models, and assessment strategies in the design and development of online, blended, and enhanced courses.
- Provides leadership for the Instructional Design team in areas related to enhanced, blended, and online course design and development while also monitoring ongoing courses to avert technical issues.
- Manages the instructional designers in course design and development projects in areas related to pedagogy and instructional design standards.
- Manages the elearning specialists who provide training and support to faculty in the use of academic support software.
- Provides oversight of the administrative functions of the learning management system (i.e. course copies, enrolling faculty and students in courses).
- Manages the internal review process to ensure quality course design and development.
- Works in partnership with department heads, faculty, and the instructional design team to design and develop online courses deploying best online pedagogical practices.
- Manages the development and offering of training sessions for faculty in the areas of course design, instructional technologies, and pedagogy.
- Ensures that courses are designed in consideration of universal accessibility standards (ADA).
- Conducts ongoing research in areas of emerging technologies effective for blended and online course designs and the effectiveness of those emerging technologies.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a MasterÔ??s degree from an accredited university. Requires three years experience providing technologically-oriented pedagogical training, support, and consultation to faculty in a public higher education institution. Requires two years of online teaching experience and course design and development experience. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.Thoroughly knowledgeable and practiced in instructional design, multimedia, and LMS/CMS technology and best practices for teaching and learning. Excellent teacher/training with experience conducting workshops, demonstrations, and one-on-one training sessions. Requires excellent writing skills for reports, documentation and instructions.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises instructional design team members.