Position Title:Assistant Director of International Student Services
Department:International Student Services
Purpose of Position
Responsible for provides support and assistance to the Director in serving international students, exchange visitors, and their families in regard to personal, academic and immigration-related concerns.
- Serves as an official link with the U.S. government as Alternate Designated School Official, seeing that Texas A&M University-Commerce complies with any and all government regulations regarding international students.
- Assists with the preparation and disbursement of I-20 and DS-2019 forms to allow new international students to contact U.S. Embassies in their respective home countries and apply for a visa to enter the United States, having an official signature approval from the U.S. Government.
- Assists with the monitoring of international student’s academic progress in order to comply with current and USCIS regulations and tracking system compliance.
- Helps to facilitate the recommendation of individual student applications to USCIS for off campus work permit cards.
- Assists with advising students preparing official USCIS applications, changes, and updates (Transfer procedures, change of visa status, legal USCIS reinstatement procedures, extension of stay).
- Assists with student applications for off-campus employment authorization.
- Assists with the enforcement of the mandatory requirement for student visa holders (and dependents of J-1s) to have sufficient health insurance coverage.
- Assists with the completion of all U.S. government forms, filing reports as required, and completing electronic student tracking as required by USCIS.
- Assists with the conducting of information orientations for new and transfer international students each semester, providing information on campus support services.
- Edits and updates the International Student Handbook given to all new international students and scholars.
- Edits and updates orientation informational handouts for distribution.
- Facilitates the acquiring copies of all required documents for maintaining USCIS files on each international student.
- Provides information over email to prospective students.
- Directs the flow of general information regarding necessary travel, housing and airport pick-up arrangements.
- Arranges for pick up of new students at bus or airport terminals when necessary.
- Serves as the Creator of budget request documents for operating, HEAF, and local accounts.
- Maintains USCIS files for admitted international undergraduate and graduate students as required by USCIS.
- Assists with the workflow of required paper work to USCIS,USIA, and the University.
- Conducts equipment inventory.
- Assists answering of questions regarding academics and admissions requirements and policies.
- Facilitates sending of requested admission information for undergraduate/graduate international students.
- Assists students with course registration and monitors their required enrollment each semester.
- Coordinates the monitoring of students’ compliance with mandatory health insurance for international students.
- Assists with students’ understanding of complying with all housing policies, police department/parking regulations, on-campus employment, and academic policies.
- Assists advising students on compliance with University, local, state, and federal government laws, assisting them when problems arise.
- Counsels students regarding expenses, off-campus housing, and student life; while offering support to students and their families, and appropriately interviewing on their behalf should problems arise.
- Assists students with return to home country after graduation.
- Directs students to appropriate services on or off campus as needed.
- Co-coordinates extra-curricular activities and guidance that will enhance the personal and academic well-being of the international student body.
- Co-directs the annual Multi-cultural International Festival.
- Serves as co-advisor to the Association of International Students and assists with advising four other existing international student organizations.
- Recruits, screens, and provides orientation for hosting program, when time and volunteers permit, maintaining contact with participants.
- Facilitates contact with community organizations and student contact with health care providers when requested.
- Coordinates recruitment of community volunteers and planning of programs they provide.
- Facilitates contact with Commerce Public Library Literacy Program’s free English classes.
- Co-facilitates relaying current/updated rules and regulations for the USCIS to students, faculty, and staff.
- Directs and maintains email list-serve, communicating activities, announcements, and deadlines of the University and the USCIS.
- Assists with scheduling of informational workshops in order to keep students current on USCIS regulations and to offer income tax information.
- Co-directs excursions, lectures, and multicultural events that provide opportunities for cross-cultural experiences between international students and members of local and university communities.
- Emphasizes and utilizes international students’ presence and generally contributes to the globalization of the university campus.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree. Previous exposure to international students. Requires some knowledge of US immigration laws and regulations. Requires good communication skills. A desire to assist people of all cultures preferred.
Supervision of Personnel