Position Title:Assistant Director of Leadership Engagement and Development
Department:Leadership Engagement and Development
Reports To:Director of Leadership Engagement and Development
Purpose of Position
The Leadership Engagement and Development (L.E.A.D.) Department at Texas A&M University-Commerce is a nationally recognized as a premier program for preparing students to be agents of positive change. The department develops socially responsible leaders through leadership education, service-learning and global education. Creative experiential education will promote students to foster a commitment to life-long learning and holistic development. The Assistant Director of Leadership Engagement and Development is responsible to assist in the development and implementation of a multi-year/multi-tier leadership program that encompasses emerging leaders through the senior year experience and beyond. This leadership professional on our campus will develop and implement creative ways to involve students in leadership development, education and service opportunities. The Assistant Director is charged with increasing student engagement and leadership involvement on multiple levels.
- Assists Director in developing, enhancing and delivering campus wide leadership initiatives.
- Works in close collaboration with Campus Life and Student Development, Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management to promote comprehensive and intentional workshops and retreats.
- Assists Director with teaching the First Year Leadership Class.
- Utilizes CAS, EBI and other assessments to insure that our students’ leadership opportunities meet or exceed national standards.
- Involves all organizations in University wide involvement programs throughout the year to increase participation and involvement of all segments of the campus community.
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining inventory control for the equipment/props/tools that are a part of the extensive collection of leadership training initiatives.
- Serves on major University Committees as assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Required: â?¢ Bachelors degree in education or a related field. â?¢ Minimum of 1-2 years experience in college student development, leadership development, and/or programming. â?¢ Experience with sound mentoring theory and application. â?¢ Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to a broad constituency, including administrators, faculty, staff, students and parents. â?¢ Must value diversity and possess the ability to work with others from different background. â?¢ Must model strong leadership skills and a working knowledge of effective decision-making. â?¢ Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and be able to function in a team environment. â?¢ Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and flexibility in problem-solving. â?¢ Ability to excel given an extensive workload within a fast-paces environment. Preferred: â?¢ Masters degree in higher education, leadership, student personnel, education administration or a related field and two years of professional experience in leadership development and/or student activities.
Supervision of Personnel