Position Title:Assistant Manager of Student Information Systems (SIS)
Reports To:Manager of Student Information Systems
Purpose of Position
Assists the Manager of Student Information Systems in the maintenance integration of the Student Information System and Alumni System with other university databases with the objective of meeting the managerial and reporting needs of the university.
This position assists the manager with all the following functions and serves in the manager’s absence.
- Assists users to match reporting requirements with available reports and/or information from the student, alumni and other University databases. Develops and maintains VM/CMS routines used by users to submit reports.
- Modifies and/or creates reporting programs/processes to meet user reporting requirements. Recommends changes in programs, routines, and quality control standards to improve computer operating efficiency. Revises input data and program to continue operation of program. Prepares or reviews production, operating, and down time records and reports.
- Directs operation of computer to execute program, and observes operation to detect error or failure in progress of program. Works with the University community to plan modifications and/or enhancements to the student and alumni systems to improve reporting and managerial capabilities. Confers with programmers and operates computer to test new and modified programs.
- Assigns modifications and new reports to available programmers and monitors their progress until the programs/reports are placed in production. Assigns staff and schedules work to facilitate production. Directs training and trains staff to operate computer and peripheral equipment. Issues written and oral instructions. Coordinates flow of work to ensure continuity. Revises operation schedule to adjust for delays.
- Installs and maintains the SIS modules purchased from SCT including major software releases, sub-releases, and bug fixes.
- Assists with the generation, maintenance, and tuning of CICS, VSAM and VSE/ESA.
- Assists with VM administrative duties: Administers the VM batch facility, the source bank version control system and assists with the administration of the VM shared file system.
- Assists users of the alumni and student information systems to understand how they work and can be used to meet their departmental needs and also the need of the University as a whole.
- Assists users in using the computing facilities of the University in retrieving information from the mainframe database as required for such needs as downloading reports and mail merge data to PC’s, etc.
- Assists users with problem determination when the systems do not perform as expected. Reads, monitors and enters commands to help computer operators identify and correct errors. Consults with supervisor about problems such as equipment performance, output quality, and maintenance schedule.
- Assists in the planning and development of World Wide Web applications for student records.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a BachelorÔ??s degree. Information systems or computer science degree preferred. 2-5 years experience designing, writing, and testing COBOL programs in a production environment is required. 2-5 years experience in a CICS production environment preferred. 2-5 years experience in a VSE production environment preferred. 5 years working with Student Information Systems in a university environment is preferred. 2-5 years experience maintaining a SCT IA Student Information Systems is preferred. Experience using VSE/ESA JCL, XEDIT, CMS, or REXX is desirable Experience using microcomputer databases, spreadsheets and word processing packages is desirable. Well-developed analytical, verbal and written communication skills are required. Ability to present recommendations in an effective manner; demonstrate subtlety and tact in resolving interpersonal issues; and demonstrate patience and meticulousness in the development of implementation plans, strategies and priorities. Willingness and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Supervision of Personnel
Assists in the supervision of four (4) programmers.