Position Title:Assistant Teacher
Department:Children's Learning Center
Reports To:Lead Teacher and/or Director
Purpose of Position
Responsible for providing infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers with a safe, clean, happy learning environment while tending to each child's individual needs.
- Provides a safe, educationally sound classroom environment.
- Helps Lead Teacher plan and implement an appropriate curriculum and activities for the group of children in the classroom.
- Provides for the physical well-being of a specific group of children, including breakfast, lunch and snack, toileting, rest, and playtime.
- Helps Lead Teacher gear the program to the needs of the individual child with concerns for his/her interest, handicaps, special talents, individual pace and style of learning, and cultural background.
- Reports to the Lead Teacher/Director any cases of suspected child abuse or neglect.
- Assumes an equal share of the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff, keeping the classroom clean, neat, and orderly.
- Attends all staff meetings, as well as any recommended training programs, conferences, seminars, and other aspects of professional growth.
- Helps Lead Teacher to plan and implement methods of establishing a positive liaison with parents of the students.
- Works with and provides guidance and modeling for teacher aides and student workers/volunteers.
- May assume temporary "Lead Teacher" responsibilities of the Lead Teacher in his/her absence.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent and be a minimum of eighteen years of age. Must be able to perform essential functions Must be able to work cooperatively with the Lead Teacher of the Department. Must have interest in working with young children and display qualities necessary in working with them. Needs to be a sensitive and mature individual who is able to relate to both children and adults. Requires the ability to obtain Child Development Associate within eight (8) months of hire. Eight hours pre-service training in childcare preferred. Not a requirement, but applicants with experience working with young children will be given priority in selection.
Supervision of Personnel
Student workers, and volunteer/practicum students.