Position Title:Assistant to the Director
Purpose of Position
Top level contributor, may act as an internal consultant providing guidance on complex projects and confidential issues. Regularly operates under specific timelines. Acts in the capacity of office manager coordinating and managing the activities and responsibilities of the human resources department including working closely with the benefits coordinator. Provides administrative support to Director.
- Greets visitors, determines nature of business and directs individuals to the appropriate person or directly assists individual.
- Handles all FAMIS transactions and confidential issues with Director.
- Maintains director’s daily calendar and handles correspondence for Director.
- Completes benchmarking projects for human resources director.
- Serves as back up for benefits coordinator. Duties include: adding enrollment information and changes requiring confidential access and knowledge of 8 insurance screens, receives and posts by computer insurance premiums, completes deposits of these premiums as needed.
- Assists University personnel by assigning UIN numbers
- Serves as administrator for Faculty/Staff list serve.
- Submits advertising to all outside entities for employment opportunities for human resources.
- Balances and maintains all accounts under human resources umbrella including payroll and insurance.
- Handles all budget transfers, purchases and payments for human resources department.
- Arranges travel for all personnel in the human resources department.
- Assists human resources/payroll staff members with large projects as needed, as well as, covering phones for payroll staff as necessary.
- Assists employment coordinator with receiving applications and administering test to applicants. Assists employment coordinator with signing up individuals for payroll.
- Administers CLEP test for credit for office administration 125 as needed..
- Handles cash transactions.
- Responsible for biweekly timecards for student workers.
- As necessary functions as office manager for the Employee Services Department.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school or equivalent, degree preferred. Requires 3-4 years experience as an administrative assistant preferably in higher education. Must be able to multi-task, have excellent verbal and written skills, office procedures. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records necessary. Good computer skills and knowledge needed with word processing and spreadsheet experience required. This is a security-sensitive position. The individual in this position is required to handle Protected Health Information (PHI) as defined by HIPAA regulations. The individual is required to handle PHI in accordance with A&M System policy and is further required to complete HIPAA training as a condition of employment, within a reasonable timeframe after the individual‚??s employment, and on an as-needed basis thereafter.
Supervision of Personnel