Position Title:Assistant to the Graduate Dean
Department:Graduate Studies and Research
Reports To:Dean for Graduate Studies and Research
Purpose of Position
Provides administrative assistance to the Graduate Dean. Directs the operation of the Graduate School. Directs staff in providing services to graduate students and oversight of compliance to Graduate Council procedures. Secretary to the Graduate Council.
- Serves as personal assistant to the Dean of Graduate studies and Research maintaining calendar, appointments and files.
- Assists Dean in the preparation of reports, responses to official inquiries and the budget requests.
- Assists the Graduate Dean with special projects and correspondence.
- Counsels with faculty, staff and administrators in matters concerning graduate education.
- Coordinates travel arrangements.
- Hires, directly supervises and evaluates performance of staff, graduate assistants and student workers.
- Assigns and reviews work of staff.
- Manages, trains, cross trains and briefs staff members and student employees in order to provide a service team that operates as efficiently as possible.
- Coordinates staff development activities and assists in the presentation of in-house workshops in order to provide regular staff development opportunities.
- Handles time sheets and absence reports and tracks vacation, sick leave and compensatory time in order to maintain accurate employee records.
- Conducts weekly staff meetings.
- Ensures that solutions to problems are found and implemented.
- Supervises the evaluation process of admission applications to the Graduate School, evaluation of international transcripts, determination of residency and graduate student academic action, etc…
- Directs the approval of degree plans and graduation requirements for graduate students.
- Directs the re-engineering of processes to effectively use available electronic capabilities.’
- Coordinates special assignments and projects.
- Supervises the publication of the Graduate Catalog and various brochures.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the Graduate School webpage including: New student orientation, GA orientation, on-line application; Graduate School survey and prospective student inquiry process.
- Monitors and maintains the operating accounts and expenditures within the Graduate School budgets.
- Oversees deposits of application fees and the electronic payment process.
- Serves as secretary to the Graduate Council and Agenda Committee
- Distributes notices of meetings, supplies committees with pertinent information, prepares materials for Council meetings and prepares and distributes minutes.
- Coordinates election(s) (Electronic) of graduate faculty members to the Graduate Council.
- Coordinates annual election (electronic) of graduate student members to the Graduate Council.
- Coordinates the Graduate Council approval of curriculum changes.
- Maintains file for the Graduate Council.
- Coordinates the Graduate Program Reviews.
- Coordinates program activities with individual departments.
- Coordinates program review activities with Institutional Research.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for external reviewers.
- Coordinates the process for approval of Associate, Senior and Temporary members of the Graduate Faculty. Maintains records of all actions.
- Interprets university procedures, SACS criteria and CB policies in regard to graduate education to faculty, administrators, staff and students.
- Serves as liaison with Registrar, CTIS, Financial Services, International Student Office, and other University offices.
- Assists with Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (CB) issues as related to graduate education.
- Serves on OARR Committee
- Directs the counseling of prospective students and enrolled students concerning graduate education so that these individuals receive correct, pertinent and timely information in accordance with university graduate program policy and procedures.
- Directs the handling of student petitions in accordance with university and Graduate Council procedures.
- Handles complex student problems
- Assists with the Federation of North Texas Area Universities (A&M-Commerce, Texas Woman’s University and the University of North Texas).
- Coordinates Federation Fall Seminar on a rotating basis with UNT and TWU.
- Maintains files in regard to Federation activities.
- Promotes the well-being of the office by cross-training with co-workers, briefing co-workers on current activities, updating computer skills, keeping files up-to-date and problem-solving.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree and eight (8) years relevant experience or combination of education, experience and training which provides needed abilities and skills. BachelorÔ??s degree in business-related field preferred. Working knowledge of automated data systems, university budget. Ability to counsel students. Excellent written and oral communication. Ability to work under deadlines and independently. Ability to multi-task.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises two (2) Graduate Student Services Coordinator , Doctoral Degree Coordinator, three (3) graduate assistants, two (2) student works and part-time workers.