Position Title:Associate Dean for Academic Affairs - COEHS
Department:COEHS (Education and Human Services)
Reports To:Dean College of Education & Human Services
Purpose of Position
Assists the dean with all academic matters to ensure effective and efficient management of the College of Education and Human Services. Provides leadership and support for department heads and faculty within the college.
- Assists the dean in the management and leadership of the college by performing various assigned tasks and by representing the college at various committee meetings and functions.
- Responds to requests from the faculty regarding The A&M System policies and A&M-Commerce procedures.
- Provides advice to the dean by being aware of the programmatic needs of the college’s academic departments.
- Monitors semester course offerings in terms of enrollment numbers, number of offerings, time of offerings, size of classes, etc.
- Works with department heads in building the schedule of classes to see that it stays within allocated resources.
- Completes small enrollment and faculty workload reports for submission to Provost Office.
- Works with special projects related to teacher preparation programs, including CREATE, CScope, MATH/SCIENCE Teacher Preparation Project, Problem Based Learning, and other such programs as developed over time.
- Coordinates accreditation studies and activities.
- Serves as liaison with between dean and department heads on requests for new faculty positions and provides leadership and support in the search process.
- Works with department heads in arranging for facilities and space to meet programmatic needs.
- Serves as an adviser to the dean regarding the evaluation of faculty: tenure decisions, promotion considerations, merit pay increases, adjustments to salary, and similar faculty matters.
- Serves as a channel for communication to occur between department heads, faculty, and community leaders to the dean.
- Collects various data and assembles information concerning the college which can be used to project the image of the College to the public and to various funding groups. Develops and maintains a public information and support system for and among alumni of the college.
- Serves on various committees, such as: faculty search committees, commencement committee, and other ad hoc committees as assigned by the dean. Serves on the COEHS Executive Council and takes part in discussions related to the directions of higher education in general and specific programs at A&M-Commerce. Organizes and chairs a committee which helps to make some of the college disciplines more visible on campus and preside at meetings in the absence of the dean.
- Develops and maintain a management information system for long and short range planning and for decision-making regarding resource allocation. In cooperation with departments, develops and maintains a systematic follow-up of graduates of the College.
- Teaches one course per fall and spring semesters.
- Represents the dean at various social functions when he/she is unable to attend these functions.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a doctoral degree and three (3) years related experience in higher education. Requires knowledge of electronic spreadsheets, preferably EXCEL. Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills are essential.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Administrative Secretary II