Position Title:Associate Director of Residential Living and Learning
Reports To:Director Residential Living and Learning
Purpose of Position
Responsible for providing leadership, selection and training to departmental personnel, with direct supervision of residential staffing, safety and security and hall operation along with programming in the residence halls.
- Acts in absence of Director.
- Assists Director in the general operations of the department.
- Supervises the Area Coordinator(s), Hall Directors, and Graduate Hall Directors (Prostaff) and is involved in their selection, training, and continued development.
- Coordinates and supervises the recruitment and selection efforts, as well as training of Prostaff and Resident Assistants.
- Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Business Operations approving budget requests, Prostaff and RA training budgets, hall programming budgets, and recruitment/professional development/travel.
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Business Operations in development, implementation, and execution of Living and Learning Communities, and supervision of Prostaff in those roles.
- Works closely with the Assistant Director of Facilities in development of Prostaff procedures to keep areas safe and functioning properly.
- Maintains Prostaff and RA calendar each semester in an effort to coordinate the residence halls and central office operations in line with the official university calendar.
- Serves as liaison with University Police Department and Judicial Affairs office.
- Supervises and manages judicial processes and files, including Clery Act Reporting.
- Encourages and coordinates outreach efforts with other departments on campus in order to promote residence life while keeping the housing area abreast of on-campus activities.
- Assists in developing, updating and interpreting department policies and procedures.
- Serves as a representative of the Department of Residential Living and Learning on various University committees.
- Manages resident recruitment and orientation events in which Prostaff presence and programming is needed. Works closely with Orientation and Admissions in development of tours, marketing materials, and presentations for Mane Event and Summer Orientation sessions.
- Works closely with Enrollment Management to create strategies for recruitment and retention of residents.
- Responds to crises in housing facilities as a part of the secondary rotation.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a MasterÔ??s degree in student personnel, higher education, counseling or a related area is required. Five to seven years of extensive and diverse experience in the following areas is required: staff development and supervision, administration of residence hall operations, and facilitating and supervising student development programming activities. Understanding of the purpose of living learning communities is a must and having experience developing LLCs is preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises variety of student, paraprofessional, and full time professional staff.