Position Title:Associate Vice President Business and Administration
Department:Business and Administration, VP for
Reports To:Vice President for Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
Serves as the primary advisor to the vice president for division operations. This position will assist the vice president in designing and implementing the division service delivery systems. In the absence of the vice president, this position will deal with operational, service, and financial accounting and will represent the vice president with regard to departmental collaborations and external relations with the community, the Texas A&M-Commerce Foundation, and the Alumni Association. Responsible for legislative reporting and analysis, payroll services, human resources, university budget and resource management, financial reporting.
Serves as the vice president’s primary advisor for financial resource management, with expertise in budget development, legislative initiatives and financial reporting. Assists the vice president in designing and implementing resource management and financial reporting systems.
- Member of the business administration division’s core management team
- Works closely with the vice president on all university financial initiatives
- Assists the vice president for business and administration with resource management and legislative issues.
- Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
- Serves as System liaison for financial related issues.
- Co-Chair of Budget Review and Development Council
- Responsible for the coordination, preparation, and execution of the Texas A&M University-Commerce operating budget.
- Provides budget consultation and training to University managers and their staff.
- Responsible for development of revenue budget estimates as well as preparing budget estimates for major university wide expenditures such as utilities, OASI, retirement and health insurance benefits in conjunction with other university managers.
- Develops ad hoc reports to identify current financial condition and to monitor resource commitments as the budget is developed.
- Responsible for compliance with state statutes and Texas A&M University System polices related to budget and financial management.
- Provides leadership in development strategic plans for budget resources in support of the University’s priorities.
- Reviews request for budget adjustments, assessing consistency with the administration’s financial goals and accounting and budgeting requirements.
- Serves as the second representative to the Texas A&M University System Chief Financial Officers Council.
- Works with various account managers from all segments of the university to address budget issues related to new initiatives and to address departmental budget problems.
- Responsible for maintaining account structures within the Chart of Accounts.
- Serves as financial representative on the Student Services Fee Advisory Committee in developing recommendations for the President for allocations of the Student Services Fees.
- Responsible for submittal of new fee requests to the System.
- Responsible for the coordination and preparation of the institution’s biennial request for legislative appropriations.
- Provides feedback to the System and vice president business administration identifying the fiscal impact of proposed legislation.
- Directs reporting to Legislative Budget Board related to appropriation’s funding. Coordinates preparation of special legislative requests for financial related areas throughout the year.
- Directs preparation of various required reports such as IPEDS reports, CASE surveys, internal cost analysis reports and various other financial related surveys/reports.
- Directs preparation of various System required reports such as Gifts, Donations, Grants, and Endowments (GDGE) reports, Continuing Disclosure reports and Need Based Scholarship reports.
- Oversees preparation of investment income allocations and investment accounts.
- Oversees preparation of other financial reports such as the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Research Expenditures report. Ensures compliance with all required accounting and financial reporting guidelines.
- Assists the vice president for business and administration with on-going review, analysis and reporting of financial condition of the University.
- Directs the preparation of the monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, the IRS Form 990, investment income allocations and various other financial transactions for the Texas A&M University-Commerce Foundation
- Responsible for capital plan and related THECB reporting
- Makes, defines and implements University rules and procedures related to accounting and budgetary issues.
- Attends meetings of the Board of Regents as directed by the VPBA.
- Attends and provides support for meetings with the Legislative Budget Board.
- Job requires frequent travel within the State of Texas.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Masters degree in business administration, economics, accountancy, or public administration. A BachelorÔ??s Degree and current licensure as a CPA may be substituted for the Masters degree. Minimum five (5) years experience in higher education finance administration or related field. Excellent communication skills, adept in planning and organizing, experience in budgeting and fiscal control, understanding of internal control, astute in fund accounting, strong analytical skills. Ability to manage a highly automated office. High level of proficiency with spreadsheets and database software.
Supervision of Personnel
Responsible for supervision of financial services, budget and reporting.