Position Title:Associate Vice President
Reports To:Vice President, Institutional Advancement
Purpose of Position
Responsible for strengthening Texas A&M University-Commerce‚??s marketing and branding strategies; media relations; and external and internal communications. This position serves as a strategic advisor to the President and other campus leaders with respect to communications and public relations issues. Assists academic and administrative leadership in defining goals and implementation of strategies and tactics related to marketing/branding initiatives.
- Serves as a member of the president’s university executive council (UEC); serves as an advisor to the Vice President of University Advancement and other senior administrators providing thoughtful leadership on matters of marketing, public relations and crisis communications.
- Oversees the creation, development and execution of a comprehensive integrated marketing plan that supports the mission and brand identity of the university through marketing campaigns, advertising and direct mail. Includes managing outside vendors and resources.
- Defines and communicates the Texas A&M University-Commerce brand in a clear, concise and compelling way with focus on standards of quality and consistency that apply to all university communications including print, website and other new media.
- Facilitates consensus among important university constituents regarding brand positioning, branding goals and communication vehicles; conducts focus groups, surveys or other research as needed.
- Manages the university’s media relations, both proactive and reactive and builds a reputation among media that A&M-Commerce is a “go-to” source for expert comment on current news topics.
- Develops and oversees a dynamic, interactive and comprehensive Web site that meets the needs of multiple constituencies; leads the strategic use of social media networks and other current online tools to disseminate brand messages and achieve university applications, enrollment and other objectives.
- Provides university-wide consultation and support for marketing, design and multi-media.
- Oversees departments and budgets; provides leadership, training and staff development opportunities for Marketing Communication, Alumni Relations and KETR-FM 88.9 radio station.
- Strategizes marketing initiatives and effective communications for university advancement including annual programs, major gift development and alumni relations that assures stewardship is maintained with alumni and friends of A&M-Commerce.
- Assists Student Access & Success in coordinating efforts to identify, develop and execute the university’s communications and marketing strategies for attracting and retaining students.
- Develops and maintains communications planning and strategies that include media and government relations, crisis communications and implementation of new media technologies.
- Monitors competitive and industry media coverage; tracks marketing and public relations activities utilizing metrics to show evidence of positive results.
- Coordinates business development activities in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex that enhances the university’s relationships with corporate entities that support higher education
- Serves as a member of the Strategic Leadership Team and ensures alignment of media initiatives and communications with the university strategic plan.
- Serves as the chief information officer for the university when dealing with issues and matters reflecting on the public image of the university and prepares executive communication when necessary.
- Attends and participates in professional meets to remain current in new trends and innovations that affect the university. Maintains a strong presence with local and regional Chambers of Commerce and media.
- Oversees the Collegiate Licensing program.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Bachelor‚??s Degree, Master‚??s degree preferred. A minimum of ten years of extensive, progressive supervisory experience in marketing; marketing experience at an institution of higher education is preferred. Show proven ability as a marketing strategist with working knowledge of advertising, public relations, reputation management, Web relations and new communications, as well as confidence and ability to speak in front of groups as a representative of the university internally and externally. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of student, faculty and staff.
Supervision of Personnel
Marketing Communications, KETR and Alumni Relations