Position Title:Auxiliary Accountant and Accounts Payable Supervisor
Reports To:Comptroller/Director of Accounting
Purpose of Position
Responsible for supervision of accounting functions and duties in the accounts payable area of the financial accounting management information system (FAMIS). Responsibilities include reviewing and processing all claims for purchases of merchandise, services, scholarships, and refunds and developing reports necessary to meet state and internal requirements. Primary responsibilities include functions associated with the disbursement of funds and recording accounting entries in FAMIS, (USAS) Uniform Statewide Accounting System, and (SPA) the State Property Accounting system. Responsible for assisting auxiliaries with business functions related to each of their areas. Responsible for supervision of athletics clerical position.
- Manages accounts payable staff, to include: training, evaluation and staff development
- Oversees the preparation of all vouchers in accordance with Texas Building and Procurement Commission rules, State Comptroller regulations and other state statues.
- Monitors the verification of invoices for payment, processing of checks to vendors, and travel reimbursements.
- Maintains a bridge of communication with purchasing staff with regard to university policies and state regulations, including reviewing processes and procedures for compliance.
- Develops and updates procedure manuals when necessary and provides training for employees in the Financial Accounting Management Information System (FAMIS).
- Regulates an extensive filing system capable of accurate retrieval of information upon request from management, university and other officials.
- Researches nd resolves complex payment problems and inquiries; anticipates problems with high volume vendors and executes a plan to address the needs of the vendor and the university.
- Coordinates annual 1099 process and related functions/projects.
- Authorizes state and local vouchers for payment in accordance with state statutes and university policies.
- Coordinates communication with employees, managers and departments and implements mandated changes.
- Assists in defining accounting procedures and recommends a accounting policies.
- Responsible for communication and interaction with department managers, vendors and other state agencies concerning all aspects of accounts payable.
- Provides management and external agencies with accounting information.
- Supervises clerical position for athletics
- Assist auxiliaries with business functions related to each of their areas
- Provides materials and conducts training for the university administration, departmental managers, staffs and external agencies.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a bachelorÔ??s degree in a business related field with a minimum of two (2) years related experience. BachelorÔ??s Degree in Accounting with knowledge of the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) and Governmental Accounting for University and Schools is preferred. Needs specific understanding of the structure, requirements, and interfaces between management information systems.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise five (5) full time, several student and part time employees.