Position Title:Benefits Coordinator
Reports To:Assistant VP for Business Services/Director of Employment Services
Purpose of Position
Responsible for coordinating the health insurance and all optional coverage, i.e., dental, life, accidental death, disability, long term care, and flexible spending account insurance offered at Texas A&M University-Commerce. Maintains appropriate screens on the Budget, Personnel and Payroll (BPP) system that pertain to insurance, billing, bank draft and dependent data. Responsible for management of employee retirement programs and serves as the university Teacher Retirement System (TRS) and Optional Retirement Program (ORP) reporting official.
- Coordinates the enrollment of employees and retirees on the insurance and any changes made thereafter.
- Establishes and maintains files on all employees and retirees covered on the insurance.
- Corresponds daily both in writing and verbally, with the Texas A&M System Human Resources Office (SHRO), retirees, employees, insurance companies, doctor’s offices, hospitals and others for various insurance concerns and problem solving.
- Assists employees and retirees with insurance questions or problems such as claims filed incorrectly. Assists with questions regarding coordination of benefits between Medicare and secondary insurance. Monitors status of working retirees to assure their claims are paid correctly.
- Coordinates the filing and status of Evidence of Insurability forms, death claims and Long Term Disability claims. Notifies TRS/ORP of death of employee or retiree.
- Notifies all terminated employees of their rights to continue coverage through the COBRA plan, and if eligible, COBRA subsidy. Approves COBRA subsidy applicants.
- Enters all insurance enrollment and changes in the program at Texas A&M University-Commerce to integrate with the payroll system. Creates bills and collects premiums for retirees and employees on leave.
- Orders and distributes all printed information from the Texas A&M SHRO regarding insurance programs and any changes that might be forthcoming.
- Coordinates summer enrollment program (usually June through October) under the direction of the Texas A&M SHRO. This involves a great deal of time away from the insurance office and regular day-to-day duties. All new enrollment and changed information must be entered on the BPP screens by September 1 of each year.
- Must attend frequent TTVN meetings and off campus insurance training.
- Attends SEBAC meetings held via TTVN and at System Office.
- Corresponds daily with Payroll and the Leave Coordinator in regard to extra refunds or deductions required for retirees and employees. Handles cash payments from retirees for insurance.
- Checks and verifies monthly insurance reports from the BPP systems office.
- Enters new employee data and changes by active employees to the BPP system.
- Corresponds with System Human Resources regarding new and existing TRS/ORP policies.
- Implements Teacher Retirement and Optional Retirement rules and regulations as set forth by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and according to A&M System Policy. Prepares and transmits employee/employer contributions to Optional Retirement Programs (ORP) and State Tax Deferred Annuities (TDA) companies.
- Assists with TDA loans and hardship applications, coordinating with System Office for authorization.
- Assists employees in determining the maximum exclusion allowances permitted by IRS.
- Assists approved ORP, TDA and Roth annuity vendors with coordinating onsite meetings by using the Training and Development site for registration purposes. This provides vendors/employees the option of meeting one on one in a private environment.
- Prepares and verifies monthly TRS retirement reports. Sends electronic funds for TRS monthly via TexNet to the State Comptroller’s Office, Austin, TX.
- Maintains records concerning the eligibility status of approximately 240 graduate and teaching assistants from semester to semester.
- Assists employees in completing documents for retirement. Coordinates paperwork for employees applying for disability retirement.
- Provides presentations on insurance and retirement program options to university employees during New Employee Orientation and New Faculty Orientation, as well as individually, as necessary.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a Bachelors degree or equivalent experience of six to eight years. Three years related experience preferably in higher education setting. Masters degree preferred. Proficient verbal and written communication skills required. Organizational and time management skills are necessary. Must be able to think analytically, and display absolute positive regard for all This is a security-sensitive position. The individual in this position is required to handle Protected Health Information (PHI) as defined by HIPAA regulations. The individual is required to handle PHI in accordance with A&M System policy and is further required to complete HIPAA training as a condition of employment, within a reasonable timeframe after the individual‚??s employment, and on an as-needed basis thereafter.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise students and assist with on the job training.