Position Title:Building Attendant I
Reports To:Custodial Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the appearance of both the inside and the immediate area outside of assigned buildings (up to 10 -15 feet from the building) on campus. Promotes a positive atmosphere by greeting and assisting students and staff when possible.
- Performs general cleaning of offices, restrooms, rooms, receptions areas, classrooms and hallways each day: such as sweep, mop and buff floors; vacuum carpets and floor mats; dust desks, shelves and bookshelves; empty all trash and transport to disposal area; clean walls; clean ash trays, mats and stairwells; clean chalkboards, trays, stock chalk and erasers; empty pencil sharpeners in classrooms, clean all metal surfaces such as drinking fountains and aluminum doors.
- Observes and performs any outside clean-up each day such as; sweep leaves from sidewalks, pick up trash and make sure entry ways are clean.
- Performs general maintenance duties each day such as: clean and stock paper and soap products in all restrooms; replace light bulbs when needed; keep custodial supply room stocked, organized and clean; keep custodial equipment such as vacuum cleaners, wet-dry vacuums, and buffers clean and stored properly after each use.
- Cleans all ground level and some upper level glass surfaces such as office and classroom windows and glass doors both inside and outside assigned buildings.
- Unlocks and locks facilities and assigned room responsibilities according to university schedules.
- Makes daily physical arrangements for room reservations to include set-up and tear down of tables and chairs. Assists conference leaders in bringing in and setting up special materials for conferences.
- Strips and refinishes floors using conventional 18" floor machines.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Some knowledge of cleaning equipment and cleaning materials including the safe use of supplies and equipment preferred. Custodial experience preferred. May be requested to work some weekends for special university programs or emergency situations.
Supervision of Personnel
No Supervisory responsibility.