Position Title:Bursar and Director of Student Accounting
Purpose of Position
Responsible for maintaining the integrity of the Banner Student Accounting System (Banner) and all necessary interfaces with Financial Accounting Management Information System (FAMIS) and the TOUCHNET online student billing payment system and electronic payment gateway. Duties include supervision of staff responsible for student billing/collections, departmental deposit processing, institutional loan administration, Perkins loan administration, and management of university parking permit sales. Also requires interaction with university administration/staff and external agencies (A&M System, State, Federal, etc.) to ensure that necessary accounting data and reports are completed as required.
- Communicates and interacts with students, faculty, staff, and external parties. Handles conflicts, discrepancies, and disputes by providing solutions and resolutions.
- Performs accounting functions necessary to maintain Banner and FAMIS.
- Functions as an accounting contact between federal and state agencies, the TAMU system, department managers, and university management.
- Maintains revenue accounts, bank accounts, student receivables, operating accounts, and fund balances.
- Maintains and reports monthly information as required to federal, state, and local agencies.
- Assists in requesting electronic fund transfers, direct deposits, and maintaining systems necessary to operate online systems for student billing, payments and refunds..
- Prepares various year-end reports for annual financial reports and works with financial accounting to prepare necessary year-end account/journal entries as needed.
- Prepares reconciliations of university accounts as required.
- Prepares and maintains student accounts, to include posting of charges, payments, billing, receivables and maintaining the interface to the FAMIS.
- Supervises processes for student institutional loans (tuition loans, emergency loans and book vouchers.
- Oversees Perkins loan administration and assists Financial Aid Office in preparation of annual FISAP report.
- Supervises university cashier activities, including student payments, departmental deposits, parking permit sales and traffic citation payments.
- Works with accountants and other managers in establishing, maintaining, and verifying all budgetary, accounting and fiscal related information in FAMIS and Banner.
- Provides materials and training for the university administrators, departmental managers, staff, and external agencies.
- Provides interpretation of financial transactions in Banner and FAMIS to students and departments.
- Assists in preparing accounting records and reports for all levels of management..
- Works with the TAMU System in design and maintenance of student and financial records.
- Serves on university committees as necessary to address issues for student and financial records, technology or enrollment management.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree in Accounting, MasterÔ??s degree is preferred. Requires 1-5 years related experience. 1 year of management of Accounting Information System experience is preferred. CPA, CMA preferred. Knowledge of state and federal regulations pertaining to student loans needed. Higher education experience and experience in Management Information Systems preferred. Mainframe Accounting or SIS systems experience preferred. Must be proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
Supervision of Personnel
Loan Office staff (5), student workers.