Position Title:Business Manager - Facilities
Reports To:Director of Facilities
Purpose of Position
Under general supervision, manages and coordinates the business operations of Facilities Department with responsibility for all financial activities. Financial activities include budget preparation and control, departmental billing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and contract accounting.
- Manages the daily financial activities of the Facilities Department, which include budget preparation and control, accounting, purchasing and business planning and management; ensures compliance with university policies and procedures, state, and federal regulations.
- Coordinates, designs and implements internal financial reporting systems, financial controls, and management information systems in coordination with the automated financial reporting systems of the university.
- Develops and implements systems and processes to establish and maintain records for the operating unit.
- Prepares, in conjunction with the budget office, budget requests, operating budgets, legislative budget requests, and formal budget revisions s required.
- Coordinates the preparation of reports of disbursements, special analyses, and information reports for management; presents recommendations for changes and/or improvements, monetary control, and adherence to budgets.
- Evaluates contracts for the purchase of services in coordination with the university purchasing department.
- Manages cash, cash-related receipts, accounts receivable and credit and collection functions, ensuring timely processing of billings, payments and collection of program revenue.
- Responsible for University auctions, disposal of surplus/salvage material per University, System and State rules and regulations.
- Maintains current information as to trend and developments in business; presents recommendations for marketing of programs.
- Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and financially sound operation of the unit.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
BachelorÔ??s degree in accounting or related field. Three (3) years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Experience in a higher education or government agency preferred. CPA preferred. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Knowledge of general accounting principles involving procurement accounts payable, public auditing, cash management, budgeting, and cost control. Knowledge of contracting process and associated local, state, federal and other regulations. Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications, Windows applications and facilities management software. Knowledge of current business issues and trends. Ability to supervise and train employees to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including accounting information, policies and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer. Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures, and to analyze, interpret, quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections. Ability to develop, plan and implement short and long range goals. Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management. Employee development and performance management skills. Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
Supervision of Personnel