Reports To:Carpenter Forman/Utilities/Construction Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, conforming to local building codes.
- Studies blue prints, sketches, or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
- Selects specified type of lumber or other materials.
- Prepares layout. Marks cutting and assembly lines on materials.
- Cuts materials to prescribed measurements.
- Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins, or glue.
- Verifies trueness of structure with plumb bob and carpenter’s level.
- Erects framework for structures and lays subflooring.
- Builds stairs and lays out and installs partitions and cabinet work.
- Covers subfloor with building paper to keep out moisture and lays hardwood, parquet, and wood-strip-block floors by nailing floors to subfloor or cementing them to mastic or asphalt base.
- Applies shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, and decorative paneling to ceilings and walls.
- Fits and installs prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, and finish hardware, such as locks, letterdrops, and kick plates.
- Constructs forms and chutes for pouring concrete.
- Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structure above ground level.
- Deliver supplies to job site. Responsible for daily clean-up of job site and shop area.
- Completes minor repairs on campus furniture and other furnishings, assembles pre-fab furniture and handles proper mounting of display cases, chalkboards, picture frames, etc.
- Works with plumbers, electricians and other trades to complete work, and work without supervision.
- Knowledge of construction and repairs of commercial roofing.
- On call 24 hours a day.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires High School diploma, or equivalent, and knowledge of woodworking, normally acquired through trade school in addition to three to five (3-5) years of experience. Ability to understand all woodworking books and equipment, hand and power tools to include drills, saws, and sanders. Knowledge of carpentry skills to include framing and rough carpentry. Knowledge of concrete work. Must have a valid Texas Drivers License and good driving record.
Supervision of Personnel
No supervisory responsibility.