Position Title:Certification Coordinator
Reports To:Director of Educator Field Experiences and Certification
Purpose of Position
Responsible for evaluating the credentials of post-baccalaureate students and preparing for them individualized programs for completion of educator certification following the State Board for Educator Certification guidelines. Assists in coordinating the activities of the emergency permit program and serves as a university liaison to the State Board for Educator Certification.
- Initiates and maintains communications with A&M-Commerce faculty to facilitate the establishment, revision or maintenance of post-baccalaureate plans at all levels (EC-4, 4-8, 8-12 and all level) in professional development, specialization and teaching fields.
- Actively participates on committees associated with the establishment of the new levels and areas of certification.
- Maintains a book containing advisement sheets/deficiency plans for all levels and area of teacher certification at A&M-Commerce (old and new).
- Develops a system with a contact person in all certification areas to ensure a timely turn-around time for certification plan approval.
- Counsels with current and potential students about all post-baccalaureate teacher education programs available at A&M Commerce at the bachelor’s and master’s levels and the requirements for Texas teacher certification. Accepts appointments, walk-in visits and phone calls at all times.
- Evaluates individual’s college transcripts and prepares deficiency plans for post-baccalaureate students working toward teacher certification following State Board for Educator Certification guidelines. Continually works on assessing the process for writing deficiency plans. Works to develop a system where plans are completed at a more efficient rate.
- Initiates and maintains communication with public school personnel director, superintendents, principals, and supervisors regarding certification status of A&M-Commerce graduates, current certification requirements, and programs available through A&M-Commerce. Ensure that written and verbal communication if professional (i.e. language, flow and grammar).
- Initiates and maintains communication with the Teacher Education and the Teacher Certification divisions of the State Board for Educator Certification regarding new and revised teacher education policy in Texas to ensure that all certification programs of the university are in compliance with state requirements. Remains current with regard to new certification requirements by involvement with TACO, reviewing SBEC committee minutes and press releases, and attending state meetings.
- Coordinate the Alternative Certification program development, program fees, work with faculty to create curriculum, student activities and counseling, new teacher mentoring program and other duties related to the program
- Contributes on CECAS team to address all relevant problems, issues and opportunities. Works well with others n the CECAS team.
- Recruits individuals into teacher certification by advising at job fairs, recruitment days, etc…
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires bachelorā??s degree, mastersā?? preferred, teacher certification, with two or more years elementary or secondary teaching experience, and high level of computer skills including word processing, data bases, and spreadsheets. Good communication, organization, and accuracy skills are essential. Ability to interpret, analyze and direct activities.
Supervision of Personnel