Position Title:Chief of Police
Reports To:Executive Director Facilities and Support Services
Purpose of Position
Provides a safe environment on campus, thereby protecting life and property. Administers all services provided by the University Police Department including, but not limited to, the campus police function, security function, campus parking and education, crime victims assistance programs. Also assists with campus safety programs.
- Develops procedures protecting the constitutional rights of individuals.
- Enforces institutional regulations, local, and state laws relating to public safety and risk management.
- Establishes effective crime prevention programs, in which the institutional community is educated to protect life and property. Takes appropriate steps to identify and eliminate hazards and potential opportunities for crime. Provides for the maintenance of protective patrols to deter and detect crime, to detect fire and safety hazards, and to prevent traffic accents and congestion.
- Provides mandatory training required by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) to all staff. Provides in-service training needs to all staff on an annual basis.
- Acts as official liaison with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, and with appropriate professional organizations.
- Maintains appropriate records regarding all aspects of the department, police, security, employment and discipline.
- Coordinates with Residence Life/Safety to provide educational programs for students, faculty, and staff in the areas of crime prevention, accident prevention, and fire prevention.
- Directs confidential investigations, internal and external, taking into account the sensitivity of such investigations and the need to protect victims.
- Maintains departmental policy/procedures for officer conduct in cooperation with Human Resources.
- Responsible for the safety and security for all special events on campus (provides risk assessment).
- Oversees the department report on distribution system for documentation of incidents and crime occurring on campus. Insures compliance with federal reporting regulations such as the Student Right to Know and Campus Crime Awareness Act of 1991.
- Maintains and develops open line communication with university departments and student organizations for the promotion, function and improvement of safety and security programs.
- Coordinates working relationships with the Dean of Students and Assistant Dean of Students Offices concerning the student judicial process and discipline proceedings.
- Manages an effective lost and found operation that provides security and control of items. UPD staff makes reasonable efforts to match goods with owner, and makes appropriate disposition of unclaimed goods.
- Evaluates, designs, and fine tunes procedures that control traffic on the university campus to ensure compliance of the traffic code (coordinates areas of overlapping jurisdiction)..
- Serves on various committees such as an ex-officio committee member to the University Traffic Committee and permanent chairperson and team member of the University Crisis Management Plan.
- Plans and ensures quick and effective departmental action during emergencies.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a bachelorÔ??s degree in Criminal Justice/Business Administration or related field; masterÔ??s degree preferred. Extensive knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to crime, safety, and fire codes. Strong organizational and supervisory skills with five (5) to ten (10) years experience in campus law enforcement.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise all personnel of department.