Position Title:Communication Specialist
Department:Graduate Studies and Research
Reports To:Dean, Graduate Studies and Research
Purpose of Position
Responsible for handling a large volume of inbound and outbound communications between Graduate Studies and prospective students and current students. Responsible for assisting with questions and concerns for all areas within Graduate Studies, via phone, email and in-person communications, while utilizing the highest standard of customer service skills. May act in a clerical, secretarial or administrative capacity to manage the activity and productivity at the department level in an efficient manner.
- Answers telephone and gives accurate information to students, faculty, staff and the public and determines the appropriate individual or department to forward the caller for additional assistance.
- Handles the large volume of inbound and outbound emails from the central Graduate Studies email account. Reviews, responses and routes the email appropriately.
- Assists face-to-face individuals with questions, information and forwards the individuals to the appropriate department and/or staff.
- Provides a positive experience for students, faculty, staff and the public via telephone, email and face-to-face.
- Maintains specific knowledge of current processes and procedures of Graduate Studies & Research to adequately assist students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Requires detailed knowledge and familiarity of all Graduate Studies & Research policies and procedures and other University procedures as needed.
- Assists in the supervision of student workers.
- Utilize SIS Banner to access information for customers and perform data entry as needed.
- May represent department with outside agencies, contacts, other universities, etc. and coordinate activities or handle correspondences, records, files or reports.
- May represent department with internal staff, students or faculty and coordinate activities or handle correspondence, records, files or reports.
- Manages office activity independently and makes decisions in absence of supervisor or administrator.
- Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
- Responsible for keeping office area neat and orderly and ensuring service excellence.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree (eight (8) years related experience will substitute for degree). BachelorÔ??s degree in Business preferred with four (4) years business related experience. Requires advanced knowledge in word processing, spreadsheet, imaging applications, verbal skills, and organizational skills. Knowledge of university procedures, Coordinating Board regulations and Southern Association criteria.
Supervision of Personnel