Position Title:Compliance Associate
Reports To:Comptroller/Director of Accounting
Purpose of Position
Responsible for independently leading the development and execution of internal financial and operational compliance reviews for the Vice President for Business Administrationā??s Division.
- Performs compliance activities designed to assist management in the attainment of organizational objectives primarily through the execution of operation and financial reviews to ensure that activities are conducted in accordance with institution and Texas A&M University System policies and procedures as well as state and federal regulations.
- Follow up and respond to all reports of findings issued by the Texas A&M University System internal audit staff for the division.
- Assist departments within the division in preparing for upcoming audits.
- Analyze newly enacted legislation and report all new requirements to management along with a recommended plan of action for compliance.
- Gain a working knowledge of Texas A&M University-Commerce – its business processes, policies, procedures and regulatory obligations.
- Develop a proficiency in basic compliance review principles, skills and techniques so that routine compliance testing is competently and efficiently performed in accordance with professional and divisional standards.
- Determine the types and quantity of information/evidence needed to complete assigned compliance review tasks, how to efficiently obtain such information, analyze it within the context of the compliance review objectives, and formulate appropriate subsequent actions.
- Recognize easily potential operational risks of non-compliance and make appropriate recommendations.
- Document relevant facts and information to support conclusions and recommendations based on review work.
- Complete work assignments independently.
- Demonstrate effective time management skills by completing assignments within required schedules.
- Interact effectively with a wide variety of people in a wide variety of settings.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
ā?¢ Bachelor Degree in accounting, business, or finance and one to five (1-5) years of related experience. ā?¢ Knowledge of higher education, state and federal regulations preferred. ā?¢ Masters Degree or CPA with minimum of one (1) year experience in a directly related position preferred. ā?¢ Prior compliance or internal audit experience preferred. ā?¢ Must be proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Experience with MS Office preferred. ā?¢ Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Supervision of Personnel