Position Title:Compliance Officer
Department:Business and Administration, VP for
Reports To:VP Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
The Compliance Officer (CO) oversees the University Compliance Program, ensuring the institution is following federal and state regulations, as well as Texas A&M University System regulatory standards. The CO functions as an objective reviewer and evaluator of compliance issues/concerns. The position also ensures that policies and procedures are being followed and that behavior in the organization meets the standards set forth in applicable laws and the institution‚??s commitment to integrity.
- Assists in the design and implementation of compliance communications.
- Participates in compliance risk assessments. Monitors progress toward improvement as needed.
- Addresses potentially serious compliance issues and communicates with appropriate representatives of university leadership.
- Monitors, and as necessary, coordinates compliance activities with off site locations.
- Disseminates System Policies/Regulations and University Rules and Procedures electronically, and maintains the related university website.
- Remains knowledgeable of required changes to compliance activities.
- Assists with the development, initiation, maintenance and revision of policies and procedures for the general operation of the Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- Collaborates with other personnel, facilities and divisions to direct compliance issues to appropriate channels for investigation and resolution;
- Works with Employment Services, training, and other departments as appropriate to develop an effective compliance education and training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees, as well as ongoing training for all employees and supervisors.
- Monitors and measures the effectiveness of the efforts in records retention, disclosure of public information, FERPA, and Clery Act reporting. Serves as university coordinator for the Ethics Point waste, fraud, and abuse hotline.
- Represents the university to the Texas A&M University System compliance function.
- Generally work in an office environment. Light to moderate lifting. Job will include routine travel to off-campus instructional sites. Job will include periodic travel within Texas. Occasional travel outside of the State may be necessary to remain current in issues of compliance.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Required: Education: Bachelor‚??s degree. Experience: Work requires knowledge of compliance practices generally obtained through the completion of at least five years of work experience with a position or positions which included significant compliance activities. Excellent written communications skills as well as experience with training and/or public speaking. Preferred Qualifications: Experience in a university environment. Direct knowledge and experience with one or more of the major areas of university compliance.
Supervision of Personnel
Compliance Associate, Administrative Assistant and may supervise graduate assistants.