Reports To:Director, Counseling Center
Purpose of Position
Provide counseling services to assist students in maximizing their potential for personal and academic success. Exhibit a commitment to a developmental model by initiating interventions that promote a healthy campus environment and meet the psychological needs of the university community.
- Provides individual and group counseling for personal and academic concerns.
- Conducts intake assessments, screenings, psychological testing and interpretation.
- Engages in client staffing, case management, consultation and referral.
- Provides crisis intervention services and consults with the director when necessary.
- Engages in program development, educational outreach, and evaluation of activities.
- Provides supervision and training for doctoral interns and master’s practicum students.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in the counseling center and across the institution.
- Consults with faculty and staff regarding counseling services for students.
- Engages in professional development activities to enhance skills and maintain licensure.
- Provides service to the university through involvement in committees and other activities.
- Utilizes computer technology to support the counseling functions.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a masterÔ??s degree in counseling, psychology, or social work; three years experience in counseling or a related field; eligible for licensure in Texas; generalist with a developmental focus; ability to work in a multicultural environment and meet the needs of a diverse student population; strong clinical and consulting skills; practice of all responsibilities in accordance with ethical and professional standards and state laws; maintain the continuing education hours necessary to satisfy licensure requirements. Prefer a doctorate in counseling, psychology, or social work; experience in a college counseling center or other relevant university setting; Texas licensure as a counselor, psychologist, or social worker; knowledge of the mental health needs of a university population; ability to function collaboratively with others in the university setting; skills in client care, support and health education; effective organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, sense of collegiality and strong work ethic; bi-lingual, preferably Spanish speaking; licensed to supervise in Texas.
Supervision of Personnel
Graduate Assistants, Post-doctoral residents, pre-doctoral interns and practicum students.