Position Title:Creative Services Director
Reports To:Director of Marketing Communications
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the creative concept, design, copy editing, art production, direction and preparation of pre-print production for University publications including print advertising, marketing communications, branding and supervision of website design.
- Directs the creation of visual concepts for publications, advertising, branding and website.
- Coordinates with director of marketing communications the formulation of creative strategies for all University communications.
- Directs all creative projects for the office of marketing communications including marketing, advertising and communications efforts.
- Directs the creation of design and develops original artwork for publications including alumni magazine, newsletters, departmental brochures and University advertising including magazine and newspaper ads, billboards and other visual communication as well as supervising and coordinating website design and maintenance.
- Coordinates projects with clients as well as contracted printer and media representatives to ensure the delivery of projects.
- Develops and directs the method for preparing communication projects. Coordinates with the Director of Marketing Communications all aspects of each project including timeline and budget. Final approval authority for accuracy of all formats including off-site press proofs.
- Creates job specifications and assigns photography and copy writing tasks.
- Develops and coordinates creative services projects.
- Assigns and supervises art productions from freelance artists, photographers and student workers.
- Coordinates with director of marketing communications the preparation of reports and budgets for creative services activities.
- In charge of inventory and placing orders for all required creative related materials, computer software and art supplies.
- Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Bachelor of Fine Arts, Major in Graphic Design. Minor in photography a plus. Strong experience as a creative director, directing all aspects of design projects from concept through final printing. Extensive experience using QuarkXpress, PhotoShop, IN Design, Illustrator, Freehand, Acrobat, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe GoLive, Flash, and 3D graphics programs. Five years (5) as a creative director for an advertising agency or design studio. Knowledge of Mac and PC environment. Expert skills in photo and graphic creation and manipulation for print and web. Clear understanding of print production. Knowledge of digital and film photography and video production techniques. Strong knowledge of print and interactive design. Hardware and software troubleshooting capability on both Mac and PC platforms. Clear understanding of computer functions and operation.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Web Manager, Photographer, student workers and graduate assistants.