Position Title:Crime Information Officer/Lieutenant
Reports To:Chief of Police
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the maintenance and manipulation of crime statistics and required reports used to inform the university community, visitors and patrons concerning crime at Texas A&M University-Commerce.
- Researches and provides recommendations for departmental equipment.
- Maintains departmental network server and workstations.
- Maintains computer network security to protect sensitive data.
- Maintains departmental World Wide Web page.
- Administers and provides research for the department record management division.
- Responsible for training departmental personnel on law enforcement record management software and any other computer related procedures.
- Oversees the completion of required monthly Uniform Crime Reports which includes reading, classifying all police reports to ensure compliance with NIBRS and UCR reporting standards.
- Generates and publishes weekly activity logs.
- Maintains current knowledge of computer related crime trends.
- Assumes Police Officer responsibilities as needed.
- Assumes duties as delegated by the Chief of Police
- Maintains specialized departmental equipment including, digital video and audio recording systems, campus alarm monitoring hardware and software, and lightning prediction systems..
- Troubleshoots and fixes damages or non-functional systems. Maintains and performs routine maintenance on departmental databases including but no limited to the Police Record Management System and Ticket Database System,. Familiar with Microsoft SQL Server, Window’s Server, and various other operating systems. Familiar with various computer hardware programs.
- Familiar with Texas Open Records Laws to determine appropriate response to open records requests.
- Monitors and shares information on homeland security and other law enforcement intelligence with appropriate staff members.
- Investigates all computer related crime.
- Serves as backup investigator as needed.
- Participates in on-call rotation for weekend and holiday supervisory duties.
- Available for after-hours technical support for departmental specialized systems.
- Works as liaison with university news serviced director to release information to the news media during crisis.
- Responsible for ensuring department compliance with the Campus Security Act and all applicable amendments. Including, but not limited to the compliance and publishing of a daily activity log and the publication and distribution of yearly crime statistics and campus security reports.
- Maintains and performs routine maintenance on departmental databases, including, but not limited to, police record management system and ticket database system.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent plus 45 college credit hours. BachelorÔ??s degree in related field preferred. Requires six (6) years law enforcement experience to ensure ability to understand and apply rules, regulations, policies, procedures and laws. Computer skills and knowledge needed with ability to demonstrate word processing, spreadsheet and more specialized experience such as web page construction and maintenance and network applications. Ability to communicate effectively and deal with individuals and critical situations in an effective manner. Texas driverÔ??s license and good driving record essential. Must have or be able to acquire a Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Officers Standard Education (TCLEOSE) license. Background investigation and testing to include psychological examination required. May be required to submit to polygraph exam and drug testing.
Supervision of Personnel
Acts as on call supervisor once monthly.