Position Title:Dean, Campus Life and Student Development
Department:Academic and Student Affairs, VP and Provost for
Reports To:Vice President for Student Access and Success
Purpose of Position
Responsible for supporting the goals of the University as the senior student affairs officer by providing vision, leadership and supervision for personnel, facilities, programs, and other resources to ensure an atmosphere conducive to the holistic development of students.
- Provides vision and leadership in the development and administration of a vibrant campus life program that engages the entire campus community using nationally recognized best practices.
- Provides vision and leadership in the development and administration of an seamless learning environment, between in class and out of class educational opportunities.
- Serve on the University Executive Council.
- Serve on the University Budget Council.
- Prepares and Monitors all Campus Life and Student Development Budgets.
- Chair the University Student Services Fee committee.
- Respond to University crises and coordinate the efforts of Campus Life and Student Development departments as appropriate.
- Serve as a liaison between Campus Life, the faculty, Deans, and other campus offices.
- Serve as an advocate for students, representing their needs to the University.
- Supervise the implementation of all student discipline.
- Maintain a professional image for the division by overseeing all publications and website updates.
- Conduct staff meetings as needed.
- Conduct appropriate student meetings and luncheons as needed.
- Establishes and enhances good public relations with off-campus publics and the community of Commerce in support of the University.
- Serves on various University-wide committees.
- Completes all other duties as assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a Masters Degree, Doctorate preferred. Five (5) years of previous experiences with student development theory, budgets, management skills, oral and written communications skills necessary. Legal knowledge helpful.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Executive Director, and Directors of Residential Living and Learning, Campus Recreation, Sam Rayburn Student Center, University Health Center, Counseling Center, Judicial Services, Diversity and Cultural Affairs, Center for Applied Leadership, Childrenā??s Learning Center, and Administrative Assistant.