Position Title:Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
Department:Graduate Studies and Research
Reports To:Provost and VP of Academic Affairs
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the promotion, administration and oversight of all graduate programs and instruction. In addition the Dean is expected to promote and facilitate research and scholarly activity among all members of the University community. Above all, the Dean is expected to serve as the "academic conscience" of the institution, therein protecting its academic reputation.
- Works with the Graduate Council to develop appropriate policies.
- Sees that only qualified students are permitted to enter and remain in the Graduate School.
- Provides accurate and timely information to potential students, faculty and administrators concerning The Graduate School, its programs and its procedures.
- Counsels with students encountering academic problems.
- Reviews and approves all theses and dissertations.
- Approves the awarding of all graduate degrees.
- Works with the Graduate School staff to carry out all administrative procedures.
- Assures that graduate assistants are meeting their responsibilities to the University and their academic discipline.
- Prepares and gain Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approval of the annual off-campus and telecommunications plans.
- Serves on the Deans Council, thereby providing input on such matters as budgeting, promotions and tenure.
- Chairs the Graduate Council and the University Research Committee.
- Fosters research and scholarly activity in the University community.
- Oversees the work of the University Chief Engineer.
- Oversees the operation of the International Student Office.
- Oversees the operation of the Metroplex Center in Mesquite.
- Undertakes responsibilities associated with the programs and activities of The Federation of North Texas Area Universities.
- Works with the staff of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board on matters related to graduate education.
- Takes an active role in the activities of the Association of Texas Graduate Schools, Conference of Southern Graduate Schools and Council of Graduate Schools in the U.S.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires doctorate degree with four (4) years college teaching, in addition to three (3) years administrative experience. Must have good organization skills, good communication skills and ability to handle multiple task simultaneously.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise Assistant to the Graduate Dean, Administrative Assistant, Metroplex International Student Advisor and Chief Engineer.