Position Title:Dean University College
Department:Student Access and Success, VP for
Reports To:VP Student Access and Success
Purpose of Position
The Dean works with academic and student services units to fulfill University College mission to provide students entering the University with academic guidance, enhanced core curriculum experiences, and facilitation of contact with student services. Oversees Success Coaches, Office of Student Assessment and Evaluation, and in conjunction with the Department of Mathematics, the Developmental Math and Skills Center, First-Year Success Seminar program, Freshman Leadership Class, and such other entities as the VPSAS may assign.
- Supervision of course selection and registration personnel assigned to first-year students and many first semester transfer students.
- Administers college readiness and dual credit partnerships for University.
- Oversees Office of Student Assessment and Evaluation.
- Reviews University College policies and programs and assists with development, communication and implementation.
- Establishes priorities for the College and pursues those through budget development, resource allocation, policy implementation and review, and evaluation of outcomes.
- Oversees First-Year Success Seminar program.
- Oversees selection and programming for Freshman Leadership Class.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a masterÔ??s degree. Earned doctorate preferred. Significant academic administrative experience in higher education with at least five (4) years in an administrative/management capacity. Ability to work with vice presidents, deans, department heads, faculty, staff and students. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Excellent technology skills. Ability to understand and implement policies and procedures regarding fiscal, personnel, and student service matters. Ability to resolve conflict and create high performance teams. Strong work ethic, a high energy level, and a philosophy of shared governance and high standards of professional ethics and integrity. Ability to establish priorities and deal with numerous projects simultaneously. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to promote a collegial atmosphere. Commitment to diversity. Belief in the value of all academic programs and units in the University.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Administrative Assistant for University College; Success Coaches; Director of Student Assessment and Evaluation; and Director of Developmental Math and Skills Center.