Position Title:Digital Collections Librarian
Reports To:Head Special Collections and Archives
Purpose of Position
This position is responsible for building and maintaining the Library's collection of digital special collections materials. This includes organization and oversight of the digital lab; creation and maintenance of metadata and associated authority control; overseeing processing of materials to ensure quality and uniformity within the collections; developing rights management and collection development policies; supervising digital lab support staff; and participating in digitization projects with partner institutions.
The Digital Collections Librarian does the following:
- Creates and maintains metadata and associated authority control using current standards, such as Dublin core.
- Oversees the organization and operations of the digital library.
- Plans and develops digitizing projects in association with the Archives and Special Collections Librarian.
- Acts as liaison to campus faculty in developing their digital collections.
- Develops policies for copyright, rights management, and collection development.
- Provides training and support for partner institutions.
- Works with Campus Technology to assure access on the World Wide Web to the Library’s digital collections.
- Stays abreast of current and emerging technologies and implements new technologies as needed to maintain the digital collection.
- Serves on library and university committees as appointed.
- Maintains professional expertise appropriate to meet service and planning requirements in assigned areas.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires an MLS degree and one year of related experience. Good organizational skills, communication skills and attention to detail essential. Requires working knowledge of the use of computers including word processing, Internet, and the use of digital cameras. Also requires working knowledge of basic metadata schemas (such as Dublin core) and digital collection management software (such as CONTENTdm).
Supervision of Personnel
The Digital Collections Librarian will supervise two part-time temporary employees or graduate assistants.