Position Title:Director of Public Relations
Reports To:Assistant Director of Marketing Communications
Purpose of Position
Responsible for organizing and writing the University‚??s publications and related aspects of its publication program. Provides the University with the writing, editing and production skills necessary to produce targeted publications. Identifies, researches and implements new media opportunities including but are not limited to print, multimedia, social networking, online and media relations in an effort to enhance the University‚??s image.
- Provides thought leadership and strategic planning in the development and coordination of the university’s public relations efforts including press conferences, executive media training and relevant communication to regional and national media.
- Serves as editor of PRIDE, the university’s magazine and flagship marketing piece, works collaboratively with the vice president of marketing communications and the creative services director to plan, storyboard, edit and evaluate each issue.
- Builds and maintains cooperative relationships with area media outlets, business entities, and community organizations to position the university as an expert in higher education, specifically in recruitment, retention and research.
- Leads, manages, monitors and evaluates the university’s social media platforms, and provides strategic planning that suggests new ways to engage the university’s target markets via existing and emerging interactive technologies.
- Creates and oversees the content production of scripts, speeches, reports advertising and promotional materials, press releases, interviews and any other external communications in concert with overall brand messaging.
- Serves as advisor to the assistant vice president of marketing communications in proactively responding to university crises and other media inquiries.
- Creates and maintains a network of student workers to be mentored and trained in the disciplines of public relations, news gathering and writing, social media communications, strategic marketing, and business development to improve job placement after graduation.
- Establishes and maintains communications with university departments, college and the media for the purpose of promoting and disseminating information to the public about the university’s points of pride.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Bachelor‚??s degree in journalism or related field; three to five years of public relations or communications experience developing and managing public relations and corporate communications objectives. Experience in Microsoft office suite, Google Analytics, and social media platforms. Proven leadership and excellent written and oral organizational skills a must. Masters‚?? degree in Journalism or related preferred, with five or more years of experience.
Supervision of Personnel
Manage a team of writers and public relations staff to achieve the aforementioned objectives.