Position Title:Director Alumni Services
Reports To:Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Purpose of Position
Responsible for providing programming and services for TAMU-C alumni and former students to encourage their involvement in the university, local and state activities and to perpetuate and strengthen ties to TAMU-C.
- Plans and directs all activities, both on and off campus related to Alumni Relations including Homecoming, reunions, etc.
- Maintains all alumni, former students, faculty and staff database records for the University. Supervises all updates, file changes, software changes, and security of files. Authorizes use of alumni lists for internal and/or external use.
- Communicates frequently with alumni and former students through correspondence (individual, mass and electronic) and personal interaction on all alumni activities, campus activities and alumni related issues.
- Responsible for expenditures, record maintenance, fund raising activities and deposits, related to department, Homecoming, The Pride and The Alumni Association.
- Prepares quarterly and annual reports on department activities for the alumni magazine, the Alumni Association Board of Directors, and the Assistant VP of Marketing Communications
- Interfaces with various University departments (academic, Career Development, Admissions, etc.) in the promotion of alumni services.
- Works closely with Marketing Communications in development of the of The Pride, including writing the Alumni Director’s column, oversees contributions such as class notes, and other alumni reports.
- Manages volunteers for Homecoming, reunions, board involvement, chapter involvement, Alumni Forum, and various special activities throughout the year.
- Develops and supports the alumni chapters, including frequent meetings, mailings and off-campus activities.
- Serves as executive director of the TAMU-C Alumni Association. Responsible for maintaining good communication with the Alumni Association Board of Directors on campus activities, alumni activities and any issue which affects TAMU-C alumni. Plans board meetings and a two day off-campus retreat. Serves on the Executive Board of the Alumni Association. Cultivates potential Board members. Provides leadership in developing goals, objectives, and strategies for the Association, in particular coordinating the former with the mission of the University and Alumni Office.
- Serves on various campus committees including Distinguished Alumnus and Chair of Homecoming, and represents alumni at University functions. Maintains confidential files and records for the Distinguished Alumnus committee. Ensures University procedures are followed in relation to the committee. Promotes nominations for this honor from the alumni ranks.
- Oversees selection, disbursement and growth of Alumni Office Scholarships, such as Alumni Association Legacy Scholarships, Senior Challenge Scholarships, etc.
- Facilitates and encourages the educational, leadership, and personal growth of a select group of outstanding students by providing them with an educational and leadership experiences through the Student Alumni Association.
- Provides appropriate growth opportunities, evaluation and training for department staff and volunteers.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships and collaborative efforts with Alumni Director at System institutions and System-wide personnel.
- Oversees maintenance of Alumni homepage which conforms to the image of the University and meets the needs of the alumni and former students.
- Coordinates induction of University graduates into the alumni world through cooperative mailing between department, University senior packets, and graduation receptions.
- Conceives and implements fundraising activities for the Alumni Office. Helps to develop alumni for University fundraising efforts.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Bachelors degree required MasterÔ??s degree preferred. Good communication skills with three to five (3-5) years experience in public relations or alumni relations on a college campus or a business. Experience with budget management, event management and volunteer management necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Administrative Assistant, secretarial support and student workers.