Position Title:Director Financial Aid
Reports To:Dean of Enrollment Management and Retention
Purpose of Position
Position manages all financial aid and scholarship programs/functions to ensure good access to the university for undergraduate and graduate students; assures total compliance with all federal and state regulations on financial aid programs or services; engages actively in institutional recruiting and operates the awards program to use resources in best way possible to support students. Administers/oversees award Title IV funding and other Financial Aid programs.
- Participates in shaping and implementing the strategic enrollment management plan, including developing services and strategies for recruiting and retaining students.
- Directs the financial aid and scholarship office staff in the processes of financial aid, managing workload and holding them accountable for timely response to student/parent inquiries and needs.
- Interprets, updates and institutes aid policies and procedures to assure that the department complies with federal, state and university regulations; works with fiscal affairs to monitor student compliance and/or institutional reimbursement of aid under Title IV requirements.
- Supervises the loan, work-study, grant and scholarship application processes.
- Designs and operates financial aid and scholarship outreach programs for students and parents in regional high schools or other venues.
- Works with students who have pressing concerns at any stage of their application process.
- Promotes and publicizes financial aid and scholarship programs to current students and prospective students.
- Develops new aid sources in working with outside agencies and university community.
- Serves as advisor to University Financial Aid Appeals Committee which rules on aid appeals by students.
- Conducts withdrawal counseling to applicants and/or recipients.
- Develops, justifies and manages the departmental operating budget.
- Serves as liaison between financial aid and other university offices.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree in business or related field and five (5) years financial aid or related experience. Knowledge of federal/state regulations about financial aid programs, ability to implement services accordingly. Ability to organize, expedite and secure disbursement of large amounts of federal, state and university funds and be accountable. Managerial and leadership skills to facilitate cooperation of fourteen staff members, several other departments and thousands of students; to expedite work and meet deadlines; to maintain student-friendly office. Prefer experience with Direct Lending and a MasterÔ??s degree.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise 14 professional staff, 6 advisors, 3 assistant directors, 5 assistants, student workers and seasonal temporary employees. The director must be willing to hold staff accountable and assists them to meet deadlines and maintain a strong student-service orientation.