Position Title:Director of Visual Communications
Reports To:Department Head
Purpose of Position
Responsible for supervising all aspects of four Communication Arts BFA programs; Design Communications, Art Direction, New Media and Communication Arts, located at the Universities Center at Dallas (UCD). The Director is the liaison between the UCD facility and the Head of the Art Department on the main campus. The responsibilities include day-to-day supervision of all advanced courses in Communication Arts at the UCD, deciding curriculum, evaluation and hiring of instructors and advising students.
- Performs industry analysis of targeted professions for accurate purchases of hardware and software.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring all adjunct faculty per semester to meet program requirements and comply fully with SACS criteria for teaching.
- Performs evaluations on adjunct faculty and reports to the Head of the Art Department.
- Instructs up to three courses per year.
- Acts as a liaison to promote current programs to initiate growth through articulations with community colleges.
- Manages and maintains the currency of three computer labs spanning both the Mac and PC environments.
- Manages rotating curriculum of 4 BFA programs; Communication Arts, Design Communications, Art Direction and New Media.
- Performs academic advising on all student within the 4 BFA programs.
- Manages future budget needs for all Communication Arts programs.
- Administers course fees and manages these fee expenditures.
- Oversee student workers and graduate assistants.
- Develops and maintains links to top professionals for internship programs.
- Maintains professional currency within field.
- Coordinates students participation in national and regional shows and conferences.
- Works with area high schools to promote programs through tours and portfolio reviews.
- Administers semester progress assessment of all students in Communication Arts.
- Administers portfolio entry requirements for incoming students.
- Maintains close relationship with Head of Art Department.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree in Fine Arts or Art Direction, MasterÔ??s in Communication Art or New Media is preferred. Requires professional experience in the Communication Art field. University instruction experience is preferred. Proficiency in computers related to Communication Art field is necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Student Workers and Graduate Assistants.