Position Title:Director of Advancement Services
Department:Advancement, VP for
Reports To:Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Purpose of Position
Coordinates and facilitates the University‚??s mission in the areas of advancement services, development, donor stewardship, stakeholder relations, research and other assignments as deemed appropriate by the Vice President for Advancement.
- Works as part of an integrated management team to establish overall goals and strategies for increasing private support to the University and Foundation.
- Researches, interprets, and advises donors and staff regarding application of IRS regulations and guidelines controlling the tax exempt status of gifts.
- Directs and coordinates stewardship of donors and gifts including timeliness and accuracy of gift receipts to donors, scholarship and financial reports, pledge collections, and coordinates stock gifts in accordance with Council for Advancement & Support of Education (CASE) guidelines.
- Directs and manages the University Advancement Services office and provides professional support to the staff and Foundation in implementing financial processes, special events, prospect management, donor recognition, donor stewardship, and other related activities.
- Acts as a liaison to the Foundation by scheduling and planning board meetings, provides notice of meetings to board members and prepares the agenda, and accurate minutes. Maintains and updates Foundation policies, by-laws and other various duties as deemed necessary by the board chair.
- Responsible for tracking of all endowments (scholarships and other) and reports earnings and award status to donors. Also, directs establishment of new foundation endowments with letters of agreement coordination and accounts assignment.
- Supports advancement staff fundraising activities related to major gifts, planned gifts and annual programs. Prepares reports to assist development staff with fundraising appeals and participates in the cultivation of gift prospects when appropriate.
- Facilitates access and provides training on the University’s fundraising database (Raiser’s Edge) to the other members of the University’s staff.
- Serves as Database Administrator that directs and maintains a comprehensive and accurate fundraising database to include all alumni records and all past and prospective donors.
- Directs and oversees design of data management system policies and procedures for Raiser’s Edge. Meets regularly to review database issues and concerns with key database users on campus.
- Manages policies and procedures for documentation management, recognition/stewardship and gift receipting for donors.
- Communicates donor wishes and requirements for all fund expenditures.
- Provides the President, Dean’s and other internal constituents with reports generated from Raiser’s Edge regarding donor gifts.
- Directs the corporate matching gift program. Identifies corporations that offer matching gift programs and assists development staff in promoting matching gift opportunities for alumni and donors. Compiles necessary documentation regarding matching gifts.
- Submits recommendations as appropriate.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a bachelor‚??s degree or a minimum of three to five (3-5) experience in business management or fundraising related field. Experience in higher education fundraising preferred. Extensive computer software experience including, but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge Raiser‚??s preferred. Excellent organizational, communications and leadership skills, comprehensive knowledge of database management.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises the Coordinator of Gift Processing and Revenue Performance Management Coordinator, as well as student workers and graduate assistants.