Position Title:Director of Campus Recreation
Department:MRC (Rec Center)
Reports To:Dean of Campus Life & Student Development
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the overall organization and administration of a comprehensive campus recreation program which provides maximum opportunities for the Texas A&M-Commerce community.
- Interprets, updates and institutes policies and procedures to assure that the department complies with national, state and University regulations.
- Contributes to development of services and strategies for the retention of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Develops, implements, and manages the departmental budget.
- Recruits, selects, trains and provides supervision and consultation for professional staff members.
- Responsible for the day to day operations of a comprehensive campus recreation program.
- Develops long-term and short-term goals for the department.
- Responsible for the continuous strategic planning for the department and the development of new initiative in order to meet the needs of the various target populations.
- Promotes and supervises current and future programs in order to develop and maintain an adequate membership base.
- Provides leadership and oversight for all divisions within the department. Divisions include: Aquatics, Climbing & Outdoor Adventure, Facilities, Fitness and Intramurals.
- Collaborates with the Health & Human Performance department to schedule activity classes in the Morris Recreation Center (MRC) and the Cain Sports Complex (CSC).
- Responsible for staff development by providing ongoing training and performs annual staff appraisals.
- Provides leadership for the continuous development and improvement of the departmental customer service philosophy. This includes the implementation of staff retreats, for all employees (full-time and students), to be held at the beginning of each semester.
- Develops a comprehensive risk management program for the department.
- Develops and implements effective marketing strategies for the department to ensure an adequate membership base in order to meet the annual budgetary projections.
- Develops collaborative efforts with both educational and civic groups to design, develop and deliver appropriate programs for the individuals desiring a comprehensive campus recreation program.
- Liaison for the department to other campus departments and the Commerce community.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires MasterÔ??s degree in Recreation, Kinesiology, Sports Management or related field, Doctorate degree in Recreation Kinesiology, Sports Management, or related field preferred. Requires minimum of five (5) years experience in recreational sports programming plus a minimum of three (3) years of management experience. Knowledge of budgeting and risk management. Must have a minimum of one (1) year of experience in the implementation of a nationally or academically recognized customer service model. Must possess current First Aid & CPR Certification. Must possess excellent writing and verbal skills.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises seven (7) recreation professionals, one (1) administrative secretary and student employees.