Position Title:Director of Counseling Center
Reports To:Dean of Students
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the overall organization and administration of the Counseling Center in support of the stated goals and mission of the University. To enhance the quality of campus life through the coordination of services and programs aimed at meeting the psychological and developmental needs of the University community.
- Organizes and administers the counseling and outreach services and delivery system. Recruits, selects, and provides supervision and consultation for professional and support staff.
- Prepares annual budget and approves disbursement of funds.
- Conducts client staffing and assigns professional staff members to provide treatment and/or referral.
- Participates in the provision of crisis intervention services and consults with staff members about crisis situations.
- Develops, with staff member input, short and long term goals.
- Engages in program development, educational outreach, and evaluation activities.
- Identifies and obtains facilities and equipment to support the provision of services and programs.
- Coordinates training and supervision for counseling and/or psychology doctoral interns and master’s level students.
- Provides limited individual and group academic, career, and personal counseling services.
- Responds to requests for reports or information about services and programs.
- Serves as a consultant to faculty, staff, and students, University departments and organizations, and the local community.
- Promotes staff development by providing opportunities for in-service training, continuing education, and performance appraisal.
- Engages in professional development activities so as to maintain and enhance professional and administrative skills.
- Serves as chairperson or member of Student Affairs and/or other University committees.
- Represents the Counseling Center at University functions and engages in special projects as requested by the Dean of Students.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Doctoral degree in counseling, psychology, or related field. Minimum of five years counseling and/or administrative experience. Prefer at least two years experience in a college counseling center. Eligible for or certified/licensed as a professional counselor or a psychologist by the Texas State Board of Examiners. Excellent organizational and administrative abilities. Effective writing and verbal skills. Well developed therapeutic and diagnostic skills. Compatibility with an environment conducive to teamwork and colleagueship.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises three (3) counselors, one (1) administrative secretary, two (2) graduate assistants, one (1) student worker, doctoral intern(s) and masterÔ??s level student(s).