Position Title:Director of Financial Reporting
Department:Business and Administration, VP for
Reports To:Associate Vice President for Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
Responsible for providing financial reporting in compliance with state and regulatory agency mandates and providing management reports as defined by executive management of the University. Responsible for the preparation of the Annual Financial Report for the University. Responsible for maintaining the system providing allocation of institutional, foundation and alumni association investment earnings.
- Serves as contact to State & System Internal auditors and assists with the coordination of financial audits, as necessary.
- Coordinates and assists in the preparation of two submissions of the requests for Legislative Appropriation Request (LAR) biannually which is submitted to the Governor’s Office of Budget and Planning and the Legislative Budget Office. This request consists of over fifty separate reports containing strategy requests, supplemental information and supporting schedules.
- Prepares the Annual Financial Report (AFR) for Texas A&M University – Commerce, in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines and State of Texas and Texas A&M System guidelines.
- Completes annual and quarterly ABEST/USAS reconciliation as required by the Legislative Budget Board. Also assists in development and reconciliation of USAS adjusting entries for electronic reporting and entry of the AFR.
- Responsible for preparation of various monthly management reports, including, but not limited to HEF Reconciliation, VPBA management report and Presidential Account Balances, and any additional reports or special analysis requested by management.
- Monitors state appropriation activity to ensure proper reporting in USAS and ABEST.
- Prepares various reports for outside regulatory agencies, including THECB, Texas State Legislature, etc. These reports include, but are not limited to, IFRS, Research Expenditures reporting, financial related Performance Measures, and review of and commentary on proposed legislation.
- Responsible for the preparation and submittal of financial portion of the THECB University Cost Study.
- Responsible for preparation of legislative fiscal notes and legislative reports as required.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly investment income allocation reports to distribute investment income to appropriate University fund groups and accounts.
- Prepares reports of estimated University incomes for uses by the Vice President for Business and Administration and maintains revenue history for reporting purposes.
- Provides assistance in preparation of annual budget for the University including, but not limited to, developing revenue estimates, preparing budget estimates for major university-wide expenditures such as utilities, OASI, retirement and health insurance benefits and preparing full-time equivalent (FTE) calculations and assists in the preparation of the University’s Programmatic Budget Review.
- Develops and produces various financial reports and analyses, as requested, including IPEDS, PEDS, and US News Survey reports and various other financial related surveys/reports.
- Compiles reports to various income producing areas on campus identifying the income and cost history of the related area.
- Supports the financial processes of the Texas A&M University-Commerce Foundation and Alumni Associations including, but not limited to, the compilation and submission of the financial reports for the Foundation Board Meetings, the preparation of an annual financial report, preparation of IRS Form 990 and the assistance of external auditors during their examination of these schedules.
- Responsible for preparation of internal and external monthly, quarterly and annual reporting for the Texas A&M University-Commerce foundation and alumni associations including the quarterly Gifts, Donations, Grants and Endowment report required by System. Responsible for submitting monthly System endowment fund deposits and transfers to the Texas A&M University-Commerce, foundation association and alumni association to System. This updates the Endowment and Quasi Endowment account balances invested through the System Endowment Fund.
- Supports the Tuition Revenue Bond and Revenue Financing System process.
- Prepares external and internal reports as requested including annual bond reports, CASE Survey, TPEG report and various other financial related surveys/reports.
- Responsible for the preparation of annual Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) reporting.
- Responsible for preparing reports from and the main contact person for TAMUS information portal (TIP).
- Serves as the university contact person for A&M-Commerce to respond to the THECB’s annual tuition and fee survey and to address any policy issues that may arise.
- Serves as a member on the University’s Finance Council which reports directly to the Vice President for Business and Administration.
- Takes the lead role to assure accounting and budgeting consistency and compliance and presents recommendation for fiscal changes.
- Coordinates the monthly reporting on external vendors’ performance.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a bachelorÔ??s degree in Business or Accounting and five (5) years related experience, preferably in higher education. CPA preferred. Requires excellent computer skills to include expertise in spreadsheets, databases and etc. Demonstrated expertise in complex mainframe database applications is required. Requires thorough knowledge of State Financial Reporting requirements and Legislative Reporting requirements. Knowledge of insurance policy types and requirements, including legal requirements mandated by the state is required. Requires excellent written communications skills and analytical skills. Ability to organize and prioritize work and to meet deadlines is required.
Supervision of Personnel
Half time accountant.