Position Title:Director of International Student Services
Department:International Student Services
Reports To:Provost/VP Academic Affairs
Purpose of Position
Provides assistance to international students, exchange visitors, and their families in regard to personal, academic and immigration-related concerns
- Serves as the University’s designated school official, seeing the Texas A&M University-Commerce complies with any and all government regulations regarding international students and exchange visitors..
- Facilitates preparation and disbursement of I-20 and DS-2019 forms to allow new international students to contact U.S. Embassies in their respective home countries and apply for a visa to enter the United States, having an official signature approval form the U.S. Government.
- Directs monitoring of international student’s academic progress in order to comply with current and new immigration regulations and tracking system compliance.
- Determines eligibility for practical training work experience, and facilitates the recommendation of individual student applications to USCIS for the necessary work permit card.
- Coordinates necessary intervention with USCIS on behalf of international students should problems arise.
- Officially evaluates legal student status and approving of all applications for student changes and updates (examples: Transfer procedures, change of visa status, legal reinstatement procedures, extension of stay).
- Officially evaluates eligibility and recommends student applications for other off-campus employment authorization.
- Facilitates the enforcement of the mandatory requirement for student visa holders (and dependents of).
- Directs the completion of all U.S. government forms, filing reports as required and completing student tracking as required by USCIS.
- Directs and conducts information orientations for new and transfer international students each semester, providing current regulation information.
- Supervises information given over email and homepage for prospective students.
- Manages department budget and daily operations for the International Student Office.
- Signs as the official account manager and approver for operating, HEAF and local accounts.
- Directs workflow of required paper work to U.S. government and the University.
- Manages and approves annual equipment inventory
- Directs and is responsible for acquiring copies of all required documents for maintaining immigration files on each international student.
- Facilitates answering of questions regarding academics and admissions requirements and policies.
- Supervises the assistance to students with course registration and monitoring of their required enrollment each semester.
- Assists with recruiting efforts of international students
- Supervises monitoring of international student’s academic progress in order to comply with the USCIS regulations that require full-time enrollment.
- Supervises the monitoring of students’ compliance with mandatory health insurance for international students.
- Facilitates students’ understanding of complying with all housing policies, police department/parking regulations, on-campus employment and academic policies.
- Fulfill requirements for annual goals, SACS requirements and Institutional Effectiveness Unit Report.
- Serves as ex-officio member of the International Student Advisory Committee.
- Advises students on compliance with University, local, state and federal government laws, assisting them when problems arise.
- Facilitates counseling regarding expenses, off-campus housing, and student live; while offering support to students and their families, and appropriately intervening on their behalf should problems arise.
- Directs students to appropriate services on or off campus as needed.
- Available after working hours and on weekends to assist and advise international students with all phases of responsibility and arising emergencies.
- Directs extra-curricular activities and guidance that will enhance the personal and academic well-being of the international student body.
- Directs the annual Multi-cultural International Festival.
- Serves as advisor to the Association of International Students and assists with advising four other existing international student organizations.
- Facilitates relaying current/updated rules and regulations from the USCIS to students, faculty and staff.
- Coordinates informational workshops in order to keep students current on immigration regulations and to offer income tax information.
- Directs excursions, lectures and multicultural events that provides opportunities for cross-cultural experience between international students and members of local and university communities.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
BachelorÔ??s degree and two (2) years exposure to international student issues. Must have knowledge and understanding of USA immigrations law and regulations. Good communication skills. Must have the desire to help people of other cultures.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises two (2) student workers, one (1) Graduate Assistant and one (1) staff position.