Position Title:Director of Payroll
Reports To:Assistant VP Business Services/Director of Employment Services
Purpose of Position
Directs the functions of the Payroll Office to meet required production of monthly, bi-weekly and supplemental payrolls. Coordinates activities and responsibilities of payroll staff involved in payment of students, faculty, staff and temporary labor.
- Directs payroll staff in processing payments to student workers, faculty, staff and temporary labor on monthly, bi-weekly and supplemental payrolls. Verifies rate of pay, account information and legality of payment. Reviews payrolls for accuracy before System processing.
- Directs computation of pay according to System policy and state regulations. Corresponds with System Administrative Governing Offices regarding new and existing policies.
- Responsible for system entries that automate payroll deducts for credit union, Texas Tomorrow Fund, University Foundation, wage garnishments for child support, student loans, and IRS levies, and others as directed. Directs compilation and preparation of payroll reports related to the above deducts.
- Responsible for processing and distributing paychecks, annual wage statements, and other written payroll information.
- Responsible for daily printing and distribution of payroll reports processed by System BPP Operations Center.
- Receives international student employee paperwork from HR and processes in BPP, entering treaty and with-holding information. Communicates treaty benefits to foreign national students.
- Directs entry of changes, additions and deletions to University budget into BPP system. Processes cancellations on bi-weekly supplemental payrolls necessitated by employee terminations.
- Coordinates with Associate VP for Business and Administration office to resolve payroll pool deficits in departmental accounts.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Bachelorā??s degree in Business or related field. Requires 5 years of payroll or budget experience preferably in higher education setting. Knowledge of BPP/FAMIS systems preferred. This is a security-sensitive position. The individual in this position is required to handle Protected Health Information (PHI) as defined by HIPAA regulations. The individual is required to handle PHI in accordance with A&M System policy and is further required to complete HIPAA training as a condition of employment, within a reasonable timeframe after the individualā??s employment, and on an as-needed basis thereafter.
Supervision of Personnel
Payroll Coordinator, Payroll Specialists, Student Worker