Position Title:Director of Purchasing and HUB Coordinator
Reports To:Assistant VP Business Services/Director of Employment Services
Purpose of Position
Responsible for the direction and daily operations of the University‚??s centralized purchasing department. Reporting to the Assistant VP for Business & Administration, the Director is responsible for the supervision and management of professional and clerical staff employed by the department. Provides oversight and establishes internal policies and procedures related to the procurement of goods and services for Texas A&M University-Commerce. Serves as the University‚??s Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Coordinator, responsible for ensuring the University continues its good faith effort to establish business connections with historically underutilized businesses. Supervises the maintenance of all purchasing records required by State Purchasing guidelines, as well as the CPA Texas Procurement and Support Services.
Essential Functions• Provides leadership and management oversight for the daily operations of the purchasing department at Texas A&M University-Commerce.
• Develops and implements procedures to streamline the procurement process.
• Represents University at CPA Texas Procurement and Support Services forums, professional conferences, procurement seminars, vendor expositions and as contractual liaison between contractors, sub-contractors, tenants and customers.
• Develops strategies to improve participation with historically underutilized businesses. Represents the University with regard to HUB initiatives and oversees the University’s reporting requirements related to historically underutilized businesses.
• Works directly with the chambers and minority organizations in the region to encourage their members’ participation in our bid opportunities. In addition, this position will serve as the University’s main contact with these organizations.
• Assists departments with developing, advertising and interpreting responses to requests for proposals.
• Directs the preparation and review of all procurement and bid documents.
• Assesses bids and provides recommendations to Department Heads concerning technical compatibility, lease vs. buy, best value, etc.
• Manages the overall review and accuracy of the formal bid tabulation, value assessment, and final award decisions.
• Generates and maintains required documentation for CPA Texas Procurement and Support Services and Texas A&M University System.
• Promotes positive vendor relationships and vendor management policies through frequent contacts, both on and off campus.
• Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
• Organizes vendor product shows for the benefit of using departments as well as expanding the buying staff’s product knowledge.
• Maintains the Purchasing Department’s webpage.
• Acts as the University’s Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Coordinator responsible for the compliance with the University’s good faith efforts.
• Oversees Mail operations.
• Serves as a member of the Vice President for Business & Administration Planning and Development Team.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a bachelor‚??s degree or equivalent experience (8 years). Three (3) years related purchasing experience, in addition to equivalent experience. Master‚??s degree in Business preferred. Excellent computer skills. Higher Education purchasing experience preferred. Certifications preferred: CTPM, CPM or CPPO. Familiar with FAMIS and TPASS preferred. Strong knowledge of Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) program. Ability to provide leadership in the use of automation in procurement and to serve as the liaison between institutional departments, vendors, and the Comptroller of Public Accounts as necessary. Must possess excellent communication skills and an interpersonal service-oriented attitude. Must have a commitment to problem solving. Must possess strong organizational and analytical abilities.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Senior Buyer, Buyer(s), and Student Workers.