Position Title:Director of Sports Medicine
Reports To:Athletic Director
Purpose of Position
To oversee the day to day operation of the departmentâ??s athletic training staff and team physicians, facilities, budget and supplies.
- Oversees care, prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries to student athletes.
- Prepares and maintains an overall budget with the approval of the athletic director.
- Supervises athletic training staff and team physicians.
- Maintains physical examination, injury, treatment and medication records on all athletes.
- Coordinates insurance claims with parents’ insurance carriers and oversees the submission of medical bills to the athletic business manager.
- Acts as a liaison and supervises the medical care with the team physicians, Student Health Center, EMS, local physicians and hospitals for students athletes.
- Reports and coordinates student-athlete’s injuries and their playing/practice status with the head coaches.
- Daily practice, game and travel coverage.
- Acts as approved clinical supervisor or clinical supervisor of assigned athletic training students.
- Cooperates with Athletic Training Education Program Director in meeting CAATE Standards and scheduling educational opportunities for Athletic Training Education students.
- Become familiar and comply with Athletic Department, LSC and NCAA regulations
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
â?¢ Masterâ??s degree from accredited institution. â?¢ Minimum of 18 graduate hours in Health/Kinesiology, Athletic Training, Sports Medicine or related field. â?¢ National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification, Certified, in good standing. â?¢ Texas State Licensure, or eligible to take licensing examination. â?¢ Five (5) years as certified professional athletic trainer â?¢ Three (3) years of athletic training experience at college/university level as a professional â?¢ Administrative experience â?¢ Team contact sports experience. Preferred: â?¢ Prefer instructors certification in CPR/First Aid. â?¢ EMT/Paramedic License. â?¢ Strength and Conditioning Certification. â?¢ Athletic Training Student supervision. â?¢ Head Athletic Trainer experience at the college level. â?¢ College football experience. â?¢ Leadership and management experience. â?¢ Working with an approved CAAHEP/CAATE program. â?¢ Approved Clinical instructor experience. â?¢ Professional committee assignments. â?¢ Professional organization involvement.
Supervision of Personnel
Assistant Athletic Trainers, Graduate Assistants, Team Physicians and Athletic Training Students.