Position Title:Executive Assistant to Provost
Department:Academic and Student Affairs, VP and Provost for
Purpose of Position
Provides professional-level staff support to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and is responsible for the general operation of the Provostā??s office. Provides assistance, advice and counsel to the Provost in a variety of matters. Top level contributor, may act as an internal consultant providing guidance on complex projects. Acts in an administration capacity to manage internal office activity and productivity, as well as projects and deadlines across the Academic Affairs Division on behalf of the Provost. Regularly operates under deadlines and may be subject to extreme workloads. Position is responsible for scheduling activities and monitoring deadlines for the Provost. Regularly works with confidential information where disclosure could result in legal action.
- Summarizes data and prepares reports; may hold a lead role on projects as assigned by the Provost.
- Coordinates special projects and may lead work groups or teams as directed by the Provost.
- Coordinates Provost Office functioning, and may make administrative decisions in that area in absence of the Provost.
- Maintains Division of Academic Affairs records, files and reports.
- Manages travel and meeting arrangements for executive searches and external consultants.
- Acts as a liaison to deans, department heads, administrators, faculty, students and external stakeholders.
- Maintains and updates the Provosts’ Reporting Calendar for the Provost’s website.
- Acts as Office Manager for the Provost’s Office, overseeing equipment and supplies, maintaining inventory, and supervising student workers and other Academic Affairs employees as assigned.
- Assists with preparing for meetings, presentations, workshops, etc. Prepares and distributes agendas, schedules facilities and coordinates preparation of support material.
- Develops presentation support material for the Provost and the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, including PowerPoint presentation, Excel spreadsheets and other presentation media.
- Drafts and proofs correspondence. Prepares routine correspondence in final form. Prepares draft correspondence from notes/instructions. Proofs all correspondence for grammatical and syntax errors prior to signature.
- Tracks, anticipates and prepares for upcoming deadlines and events that require action by the Provost.
- Keeps office staff apprised of Provost’s activities.
- Serves as liaison with local and area community groups, representing the Provost’s Office.
- Provides support for professional activities. Represents the Provost and Division on University task forces and committees. Leads and Participates in special projects as assigned by the Provost.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Bachelors degree. A masterā??s degree is strongly preferred. Academic administrative assistant experience in higher education with at least five (5) years in an administrative assistant capacity. Ability to work with vice presidents, deans department heads, faculty, staff and students. Excellent knowledge and skills in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and proofreading. Exceptional computer skills and knowledge needed; demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, and data base management required. Experience developing web pages preferred. Ability to collect, organize and write-up meeting summaries and action items. Ability to remain highly alert and in control due to the high impact/visibility of position.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises student workers; coordinates activities of all other Provostā??s Office staff.