Position Title:Executive Assistant to the Vice President
Department:Business and Administration, VP for
Reports To:Vice President for Business and Administration
Purpose of Position
Provides professional staff support to the Vice President for Business and Administration. Top level contributor, may act as an internal consultant providing guidance on complex projects. Regularly operates under deadlines and may be subject to extreme workloads. Serves as office manager and provides oversight for maintaining supply levels, processing payments, and monitoring operating accounts. Position is responsible for scheduling activities and monitoring deadlines for the Vice President. In addition, the position coordinates schedules and training of student employee, and may provide professional staff support to one or more departments in non-routine situations. Position supports directly the Texas A&M CFO Council. Position may also support external groups benefiting the university.
- May act in place of the vice president. On occasion, may be responsible for communications on behalf of the Vice President either in writing or in person.
- Coordinates special projects and may lead work groups or teams as directed by the Vice President.
- Coordinates division activity independently and may make administrative decisions in absence of Vice President.
- Maintains division records, files and reports.
- Represents division or university to outside agencies, contacts, other universities, etc. and coordinate activities or handle correspondences, records, files or reports.
- Serves as Office Manager and provides Administrative support to the Vice President and the Division.
- Maintains filing system. Maintains suspense file for the Vice President, monitors deadlines, monitors materials awaiting action and notify supervisor when appropriate.
- Serves as Assistant Public Information Officer.
- Develops and leads Division wide electronic records management process.
- Understands and adheres to the State of Texas records retention schedules as it relates to the Office of the Vice President.
- Handles phone calls in Vice President’s Absence. Identifies and responds appropriately to emergency calls.
- Responds to and resolves routine issues.
- Assists with preparing for meetings, presentations, workshops, etc. Prepares and distribute agendas from notes. Schedules facilities and coordinates preparation of support materials. Develops presentation support materials (power point slides, handouts, copies, etc.). Prepare meeting rooms and make arrangements for refreshments, equipment, technical support, etc. Extends invitations. Prepares and disseminates minutes as appropriate.
- Drafts and proofs correspondence. Prepares routine correspondence in final form. Prepares draft correspondence from notes/instructions. Proofs all correspondence for grammatical and syntax errors prior to signature.
- Maintains calendars, schedules appointments and meetings – Including obtaining meeting background information, determining appropriate location, date/time and length.
- Tracks, anticipates and prepares for upcoming deadlines and events that require some action by Vice President.
- Keeps office staff appraised of Vice President’s activities.
- Uses Microsoft Office applications to assist Vice President with developing and maintaining documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Makes travel arrangements in adherence with University travel guidelines.
- Position is expected to provide public service to related organizations external to the university.
- Develop and delivers presentations to areas of the university and to external groups.
- Provides support for professional activities.
- Manages weave on-line for the division, insuring timely posting of accountability.
- May serve as support for system councils and committees.
- Serves as search coordinator for the VPBA Office.
- Represents the Vice President and Division on University task forces and committees. Leads and participates in special projects as assigned by the Vice President.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s Degree. Masters degree in business, educational administration or student affairs administration preferred. Minimum of two (2) years experience in office administration, project management, accounting, higher education administration or related field. Two (2) plus years experience in an education administrative office, working for multiple supervisors preferred. Higher education administrative experience strongly preferred.
Supervision of Personnel