Position Title:Farm Supervisor
Reports To:Agricultural Sciences-University Farm
Purpose of Position
Responsible for performing daily operations related to the University Farm.
- Repairs and maintains all farm equipment
- Provides maintenance on dairy barn equipment and facilities.
- Operates and supervises student employees in the use of all farm machinery and equipment.
- Cuts and bales hay to feed all farm animals through the winter.
- Replaces and maintains fences, gates, barns, hay racks, feed troughs, etc.
- Feeds livestock including cattle, horses, pigs, and sheep. Supervises and directs student employees in doing same.
- Inspects beef herd and other farm animals daily to ensure proper health. Performs routine veterinary procedures and assists in the delivery of new born animals when necessary. Injects vaccines and medications with syringes and needles.
- Assigns ID numbers to new born calves. Keeps records of calving dates.
- Call on veterinarian when the need arises.
- Inspects and supervises student workers on proper and safe use of farm equipment.
- Assists students and professors with class projects, farm tours, and agriculture related competitions.
- Prepares fields for crops, maintains farm and pastureland for production.
- Assists with selling of livestock. Transports animals to and from sale facility.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and 5 years related experience. Requires valid Texas driverÔ??s license and good driving record. Mechanical skills necessary. May be required to respond after hours and on weekends as needed.
Supervision of Personnel
1-7 student workers