Position Title:Farm Technician 50%
Reports To:Farm Manager
Purpose of Position
Responsible for working on the Texas A&M University-Commerce Instructional Farm and Ranch primarily with horses.
- Examines horses for any disease, ailments or potential health problems
- Responsible for the nutrition of the horses.
- Aides in the construction and maintenance of fences on the University farm.
- Operates and maintains farm implements and mechanical equipment, including tractors, hay baler, shredders, etc.
- Cleans or supervises the daily cleaning of horse facility using water and other cleaning materials, shovels and scrapers to ensure cleanliness.
- Maintains records on such things as breeding dates, due dates, vaccination dates, etc.
- Performs routine veterinary procedures, including injections for vaccines and medications for swine and goats.
- Assists in the delivery of newborn horses as needed, or supervises students assigned to those areas.
- Assists professors and students with labs, class projects, research projects, farm tours and agricultural related competitions.
- Assists with the inventory reports of farm animals and equipment.
- Aides in the harvest of hay for feed.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science or equivalent degree. Experience in farm animal production and management especially horses. Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather. Ability to drive and operate legally farm trucks and tractors. Must be able to work with college students and understand the importance of research. A Masters of Science degree in animal science is preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Student workers and GA‚??s