Position Title:Farm Technician
Reports To:Farm Manager
Purpose of Position
Responsible for performing daily operations related to the University Farm.
- Provides mechanical maintenance and repair on farm equipment.
- Operates and supervises student employees in the use of all farm machinery and implements.
- Cuts and bales hay to feed farm animals through winter.
- Feeds livestock including cattle, horses, sheep, and pigs. Supervises and directs students in doing same.
- Replaces and maintains fences, gates, barns, hay racks, feed trough, etc.
- Inspects farm animals to ensure proper health. Performs routine veterinary procedures. Injects vaccine and medication using syringe and needle.
- Calls on veterinarian when the need arises.
- Inspects and supervises student workers on proper and safe use of farm equipment.
- Assists professors and students with class projects, farm tours, and agriculture competitions.
- Prepares fields for crops, maintains farm and pastureland for production.
- Assists in the selling of farm animals. Transports animals to and from sale facility.
- Assists in record keeping of livestock.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Requires valid Texas driverÔ??s license and good driving record. May be required to respond after hours and on weekends as needed.
Supervision of Personnel
1-5 student workers