Position Title:Field Experience and Certification Advisor
Reports To:Director of Educator Field Experiences and Certification
Purpose of Position
Responsible for advising and monitoring students in undergraduate public school field-based assignments and post-baccalaureate emergency permit teaching assignments from the time of application for admission until completion of the program. Responsible for evaluating and processing applications for Texas educator certifications issued by the State Board for Educator Certification.
- Performs receptionist duties in Ed. North 204 and 205 as needed. (Note: This may take up the majority of their time, on occasion, and prevent them from completing other job duties in the most timely manner.)
- Advises graduate and undergraduate student about the courses and procedures necessary for completion of the various educator preparation programs available through A&M-Commerce.
- Advises graduate and undergraduate students about the prerequisite courses and procedures necessary for successful completion of the field-based Teacher Education Program.
- Advises certification applicants about program procedures and requirements.
- Data entry into a computer database for tracking students through field experiences and the entire certification process.
- Prepares statistical reports for the State Board for Educator Certification, public schools, and the university drawing information from the office database and the Banner system.
- Identifies and communicates with students who do not meet admission and retention in teacher education requirements.
- Verifies that an applicant for Texas certification (teacher and professional) has completed all certification requirements including courses, required grade point averages, entrance tests, ExCET/TExES tests, appropriate teaching experience, departmental approval, and all other appropriate criteria to ensure that accurate information is obtained and conveyed to the State Board for Educator Certification through SBEC Online.
- Corresponds with public school regarding the certification status of their employees.
- Prepares out-of-state certification program completion forms.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school or equivalent, a degree is preferred. Requires 2 years related work experience, preferable in a college setting. Ability to organize and set priorities, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters. Because of high visibility with students, public school personnel, and faculty, excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential. Ability to work through sensitive and confidential issues. Perform advanced tasks and work with internal and external departments and agencies. Act independently or with very general direction. Errors may cause significant disruption to functions of the office and negative public relations with public school districts and state agencies. Excellent computer skills and knowledge needed, with ability to demonstrate word processing, spreadsheet, and data base experience
Supervision of Personnel
Graduate Assistant and student workers